Two enhancements

suggest a way to improve Neat Image

Two enhancements

Post by Guest »

1) The ability to store filtration settings with a noise profile. Opening an image would load the noise profile and associated filtration parameters at the same time
2) Auto-loading of profiles: one more parameter for selecting the best profile. This could be just a string in the profile name, or the "Software" tag in the EXIF info. I use both ACR and C1 to convert RAW images, and they have very different noise characteristics. If I am going to process a set of C1 images, I'd like to set the preferences in a way where "Capture" string should appear in the EXIF/Software tag or profile name for example.

Jouko
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Thank you for the suggestions!

We will see what can be done about (2) - this depends on how raw converters modify the EXIF data.

On the (1) point, the noise filter settings are essentially different from noise profile data so merging them together is not very logical. Could you elaborate your suggestion a bit - why this could be useful and how opening an image would load the noise profile and associated filtration parameters? Maybe the essence of your suggestion is to establish an 1-1 association between profiles and presets, not to store filter settings in profile?

Thank you,
Vlad
ruusnak

Enhancements

Post by ruusnak »

What comes to my second suggestion, the Software tag in the EXIF header is used at least by Adobe Camera RAW and Capture One.

About the first... I don't always use the same filtration settings. For some ISO values (below 800) I always set low and very low frequency sliders to zero, and for higher ISO values they are non-zero.

I'd like to have an ability to automatically load a noise profile and associated filtration settings when opening the image. Now I often have to open the filtration preset as a separate set, which is a nuisance. A have a separate filtration preset for every ISO value and camera, so these are quite a few...
The filtration presets don't need to be inside the noise profile of course, but some optional pointer needs to be included, so the right settings can be loaded. Of course the settings cloud be modified after loading, but at least there would be an automatic starting point.
An "enhanced" noise profile with filtration presets would serve well, and for users who don't want this, they could just use the profiles without the presets! Anyway, one-to-one association is what I'm after, no matter how you implement it

Jouko

BTW, I think NoiseNinja is implementing something like this in V2...
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Thank you for the clarification. I think this could be implemented as a one-to-one mapping, an additional facility that could be filled out by the user and consulted by NI when a new filtration job is created. We will consider how we could implement this.

Thank you,
Vlad