Profile matching and Canon EOS 10D using NeatImage 4.1

resolve technical issues related to use of Neat Image
rogernordin

Profile matching and Canon EOS 10D using NeatImage 4.1

Post by rogernordin »

Hi,

First thanks for a great update, the NeatImage 4.x upgrade really makes a difference to previous versions (heck, I was still enjoying the faster 3.x version ;)). But there is a problem with profile matching with my Canon EOS 10D. As I've already posted before, my Canon S45 have an issue with the ISO level matching, but the EOS 10D always worked fine with NeatImage 3.x.

However, with the 4.0 upgrade, profile matching stopped working even with the EOS 10D. I didn't report this issue because I noticed there was some issues related to EXIF reading that were supposed to be fixed in a later upgrade, which I thought might be the issue here. But the 4.1 upgrade still doesn't work with Canon EOS 10D files (RAW files converted to JPEG by BreezeBrowser 2.8).

Now, the 'standard test' for EXIF compliance seems to be if Adobe Photoshop can display the ISO rating and other details. Yes, it can. It displays all info just fine. I am using Photoshop 7.0 btw.

When loading an image in NeatImage, the first tab window displays this info (sample):

Device maker: Canon
Device model: Canon EOS 10D
ISO level: 400
Compression: 9 bits/pixel
Exposure time: 1/40s

Fine... but when switching to the 2nd tab "Device Noise Profile", the same window fields are *blank*. There is absolutely NO information in the same fields. In fact, they are ghosted. If I try to press the icon for Profile Matching, I get the requested that NeatImage could not find a matching profile. Am I doing something wrong here or what?

In the meanwhile I get by with the new Auto Profile option. However, I'd love to get back a working auto profile matching option....

I can email you a sample image if you need one.

Regards,
/Roger
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Please check whether the device name is the same in the JPEGs converted from RAW and in noise profiles you match against. If the device names are different then try to reduce the device name priority in Options.

Yes, please send me a sample image (and a couple of profiles, one that should match and one that should not) that demonstrates the problem.

Thank you,
Vlad

P.S. There were no changes to EXIF support yet, this will be added soon.
rogernordin

Sample files sent to support@neatimage.com

Post by rogernordin »

Hi Vlad,
Thanks for the incredible quick response! :)

I *think* the device name should be correct. After all, I am using the NeatImage 4.0 profile for Canon EOS 10D intended for BreeezeBrowser converted RAW files. ;) Of course there could be a problem with the profiles themselves. I have them installed together with a set of S45 profiles as well. I am sending you a zip file with the profile directories and files, together with a sample image. Hope you can reproduce the problem.

Reducing the device name does not generate the requester but matching doesn't work. It always chooses the ISO 100 profile, proving that NI really doesn't pick up anything useful from the EXIF profile it seems, since the image is clearly shown as ISO 400 on the first EXIF screen (and by Photoshop as well ;)).

Hope the sample files will give you some insight into this issue. Thanks again.

Regards,
/Roger
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Thank you for the image and profile samples.

The problem is in profiles Canon_EOS_10D_RAW_ACR2. These simply don't contain necessary information to match an image against.

Just build a new set of profiles using BB-converted RAW images. I have just tried to build a new profile using the image you sent me and then to match. Profile Matcher immediately found the new profile because it contained all necessary EXIF information.

Neat Image reads the EXIF from these image just fine but the profile set should be rebuilt to make it more usable.

Vlad
rogernordin

Problem solved!

Post by rogernordin »

Thank you!

Perhaps you should consider removing them from the Profiles section...
Now that I look I see I actually picked the wrong ones too. How silly! Guess they were the ones available at that time for NI 4.0, since they are the oldest ones. Nevertheless, they seem to not contain the right information you say, so... just letting you know.

"RAW with Adobe Camera Raw in Photoshop CS
by Bryan Che, December 8, 2003
for RAW images converted with Adobe Camera Raw (default settings) in Photoshop CS
ISO 100 / 200 / 400 / 800 / 1600 / 3200
Download: profile set for Neat Image v4.x | profile set for Neat Image v2.x/3.x"

I have downloaded the BreezeBrowser version instead, which are much later (April 2004) and can confirm they work as intended! Problem solved.
*Thanks!*

Regards,
/Roger