Neat Image can't get free memory bock

resolve technical issues related to use of Neat Image
PetePixxx

PShop 2G mem limit

Post by PetePixxx »

My understanding is that PShop has a 2G mem limit. I have a P4 with 3G total ram but PShop only sees 2G. It occured to me that NI might be trying to access memory that is in the machine but not available to PShop.

Is there something I should know about to get PShop to see more than 2G? TIA!

--Peter

>>>
As I recall, about 50% (2G) was available to Photoshop, with the remaining available for other applications.

I don't want to take too much memory away from Photoshop since I like to work with large images.

At the moment I've been able to run the Stand-alone application instead of the plug-in and get results.[/quote]
NITeam

Re: PShop 2G mem limit

Post by NITeam »

PetePixxx wrote:My understanding is that PShop has a 2G mem limit.
This is a limitation of Windows itself, not Photoshop.
Is there something I should know about to get PShop to see more than 2G?
You will probably have to wait for 64-bit version of Photoshop running in 64-bit Windows. I do not expect support for more than 2G (available to an application) in current versions of Windows.

Vlad
huantran

Memory leak-still there

Post by huantran »

I am still having problems with the memory leak with v4.32 Pro. I just bough the copy yesterday, and cant make it though one directory of images yet.

In batch mode:
Load a dir of about 300 .jpgs, each about 2 meg. After processing about 25 images- I get the " cant get free memory block" error.
Is it important to delete jobs from the queue when they are done?

computer:
Athlon XP 2000+
512 M ram
XP SP1
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

huantran,

Thank you for posting here and submitting a bug report. We will reply to your report by e-mail.

Thank you,
Vlad
Eric_17

Post by Eric_17 »

I get this error somewhat often when using the NI plugin from within Photoshop. It usually happens when attempting to run the plugin (just starting it) on large stitched panoramic images.

Neat Image 4.32 Pro+
Windows XP SP1
2.5GB RAM
AMD 2800+ (32-bit)
Photoshop document: 48MB filesize, 6800px x 2100px with layers

Currently Photoshop is using 403MB RAM and 460MB virtual memory, and I have 1,840MB available RAM and plenty of HDD space.

In the past, I've gotten the plugin to work by shutting down Photoshop and opening it up fresh, but not this time. I'm happy to see the NI team is aware of this and working to resolve this issue. Thank you, NI, for this great program!
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

What exactly is the text of the error message?

How much RAM is given to Photoshop in its preferences?

If too much then Windows may have trouble providing more RAM when it is needed by NI plug-in.

Thank you,
Vlad
Eric_17

Post by Eric_17 »

Thank you for taking an interest in my problem, NITeam.

I ran into the error again several times today (just about every day I use it). Here's some info for this latest error:
Neat Image Photoshop Plugin wrote:Neat Image cannot get free memory block from the operating system.
(51203975-byte memory block is requested).
My system specs are above. Currently, they read:

Total memory: 2559 MB
Available memory: 1585 MB
System Cache: 670 MB

Photoshop is using: 514 MB RAM and 819 MB virtual memory.
Photoshop is set to use: 99% = 1760 MB in preferences.
Document size: 44M/218M

I closed Photoshop out, ran it again fresh, opened my panorama, and attempted to run NI on one of the layers and I immediately got the above error.

I read recently that WindowsXP (32-bit) programs can only address the first 2GB of memory. If Photoshop is using 1.7GB of it, that leaves only 300MB for all other running programs (excluding the OS, I think).

NITeam, I changed Photoshop to 80% (only thing I changed) and now the NI plugin runs perfectly! I should have seen this long ago. Thank you again for your patience. Perhaps others can learn from my mistake. (By the way, I found this thread via a Google search for "Neat Image cannot get free memory block".) Now, I just have to wait for a 64-bit version of Photoshop.
Dean

Memory Block

Post by Dean »

I just purchased and installed Neat Image Pro+. I have a P4 3ghz HT, 2 gb of RAM, 160 gb of Photoshop scratch disk space, Windows XP Pro with SP-2 and Photoshop CS. My photo files are large 200+ mb, 16 bit scans from my Minolta 5400. Usually, when I try to open Neat Image from Photoshop, I get the following message: "Neat Image cannot get free memory block from the operating system. (217808960-byte memory block requested.)" If I set my Photoshop memory usage to 52%, I can open a file with my Neat Image plug-in if the file doesn't have any layers. If a file has several layers, I have to set my Photoshop memory to about 40%. I assume that I can work around this problem by setting my Photoshop memory to a low amount, process my photo with Neat Image, then reset my Photoshop memory to my usual amount of 70% or 75%. Of course, even if this work around works, it is a slow down of my work flow, since I have to restart Photoshop each time I change the Photoshop memory allocation. On the other hand, I assume that allocating just 40% to 52% of my memory to Photoshop on a full time basis would significantly slow down many other aspects of Photoshop. Therefore, I assume that I need to reset my Photoshop memory for the most effecient workflow possible while using Neat Image. Does anyone have any other suggestions to solve my problem? Is Neat Image working on a solution to this problem? I expect that others have had this problem and, if so, how are they solving the problem?
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

I will only answer one of your questions: yes, we do work on this issue. In one of the future versions of Neat Image the problem will be either resolved completely or made occuring much less frequently.

Vlad