Neat Image can't get free memory bock

resolve technical issues related to use of Neat Image
johne

Neat Image can't get free memory bock

Post by johne »

NI (v4.0Pro+ and v2.5) reports a "Neat Image cannot get free memory block from the operating system."

Using the batch mode, select approx. 20, TIFF images from a Canon 1Dmk2 (each image is 24mb). When the software tries to load the selected images into the batch processing list window, a message is displayed "Neat Image cannot get free memory block from the operating system." Click the ok in the msg box just displays the same message again. You must use the Windows (XP) task manager to terminate the msg box AND the application.

This happens in NI 2.5 pro as well as v4.0Pro+ and it happens on an HP laptop, a Gateway 2GHZ and a Compaq 2.2 GHz machines. Similar and larger files from the Canon 1Ds (32MB tiffs) do not have the same problem.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Thank you for reporting. Please download the latest version (v4.2) to check whether it still has the same problem with these images.

Thank you,
Vlad
JohnE

v4.2 upgrade did not solve the problem

Post by JohnE »

Hi Vlad,

I downloaded and installed the v4.2 Pro Plus upgrade. The problem still occurs... no change.

I shot a black tie evening event using ambient lighting at ISO 800, so its very important to remove as much noise as possible for the client.

All of the Canon 1Ds images (Tiffs) processed without a problem. Individual Canon 1Dmk2 images process fine. Its only when I use batch processing and select more than one 1Dmk2 image that the error appears.

Kind regards in advance for your help.
John Eckert
Eckert Photo Imaging
Encinitas, CA.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

We are working on this issue.

Before it is fixed in the next software update, you could do the following. - Open an image that produces this effect in your image editor and resave it to a new TIFF file. Then process the new TIFF in NI. This should help.

Vlad
JohnE

Thank you...

Post by JohnE »

I'll give that a try.

John
Joe Sacher

Post by Joe Sacher »

I get this same error when trying to process any large number of JPEGs in batch. There has been no difference between 4.0 and 4.2 in this regard. With a Hyperthreading processor, Neat Image is running two seperate processes. So, I get two of these memory dialogs. The only way to get them to go away for good is to kill Neat Image in Task Manager. The images I am using average about 70 Kb in size and I get the error after 400-600 images. The imags are 872x480 and only 1.2 Mb even in bitmapped form. With 1 Gig real and 1.5 Gig virtual memory, I don't think I would run out of memory, even if the non-compressed versions of each of these images were left in memory.

The memory usage tracked in Task Manager stays fairly constant (~250-280 Mb), so I don't know if it is memory that is not completely freed by Neat Image, or what. I set the jobs to get deleted after Auto Saving, assuming that will clean up the memory usage associated with that job.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Is the error message exactly the same as the above? Does it says anything about memory block size?

At which point do you get the error message(s)?
- during sending batch jobs to the Filtration Queue
- immediately after that during processing these jobs in the Filtration Queue
- some time later during processing these jobs in the Filtration Queue

Does the same error message pops up if you disable multiprocessor support in options and try again?

Thank you,
Vlad
Joe Sacher

Post by Joe Sacher »

I will try these things when I get back after my shoot tonight. It is basically the same message about not getting a free block from the OS. I will post the exact message. I can add many images to the Queue fine. The error occurs after the processing starts and 400-600 images have been processed, Auto Saved, then deleted from the Queue.
Joe Sacher

Post by Joe Sacher »

Looks like muplitprocessor is the answer. I disabled multi support and it ran through 2651 images with no problem.

My system is a Pentium 4 1.8 HT with a single processor and just the HT duals. I'm letting this run in my down town, so running as single isn't a big issue.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Thank you for the feedback. We will try to reproduce the error message on a system with HT then. Probably there is a bug that only shows up on such a system.

Thank you,
Vlad
echeng

same problem on a thinkpad

Post by echeng »

I'm getting the same error on a Thinkpad T41, Pentium M 1.7Ghz -- and there is no option for multiprocessor support. The Photoshop plugin seems to work fine.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Could you reproduce the exact error message here?

Also, please fill out the bug report form to let us know your system's configuration.

Thank you,
Vlad
Jon Doran

heh I just hit this

Post by Jon Doran »

I opened a bug report just now. But for the rest of the community:

version 4.3 plugin
3.4G processor with Hyperthreading
4G of RAM

One really big TIFF causes the above error. I put the exact error message in my bug report, don't want to retype it here.

Of course it was the very first file I gave to NI... so I haven't seen NI do anything yet.

BTW, Photoshop's USM worked on this image without complaint.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

How much of Windows RAM is given to PS? If too much is given then Windows will not be able to provide more free RAM for Neat Image.

Vlad
Jon Doran

Post by Jon Doran »

I've been busy for a few days, so haven't had a chance to check back here.

As I recall, about 50% (2G) was available to Photoshop, with the remaining available for other applications.

I don't want to take too much memory away from Photoshop since I like to work with large images.

At the moment I've been able to run the Stand-alone application instead of the plug-in and get results.