Wrong Profile Match Value in job queue

resolve technical issues related to use of Neat Image
omero

Wrong Profile Match Value in job queue

Post by omero »

First of all, I'd like to thank you all for the *WONDERFUL* work you have been doing with Neat Image.

I'm a proud Pro+ owner and a computer entusiast, and in my whole geek life, I've never ever seen such a top-class customer support and development (constant updates and improvements, mostly based on what customers suggest you, which is very rarely nowadays).

Having said that, I've found a small bug with filtration queue in the job editor.

In the "Profile Match" column, the number displayed is sometimes correct, sometimes wrong.

Even if NI matches correctly all my images and associated them to the right NP, I always get 0% in that column for some of the images in the queue.

The funny is, that if I highlight them all and redo the profile matching thru the handy button (the last on the right, with the magnifier on the folder), I get 100% matching in most of the images, but some get 0% as I said.

Every time I press the button, some of the image gets 100% (which is the right value since they are matching correctly), some gets 0%, and the ones that gets the 0% are completely random (every time I click, a different set of images gets 0% in the column, and some of the ones that used to be 0% bugged, gets the right 100% value).

Funny bug isn't it? ;-)
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

First of all, thank you for your kind words!

Regarding the effect you observe, yes, this is very strange indeed.
Could you tell more about images and profiles you use? - I want to reproduce the effect to see what goes wrong in the profile match calculation. If you could single out a sample image and profile that together show the effect - that would very useful too.

Thanks a lot!

Vlad
omero

Post by omero »

NITeam wrote:First of all, thank you for your kind words!

Regarding the effect you observe, yes, this is very strange indeed.
Could you tell more about images and profiles you use? - I want to reproduce the effect to see what goes wrong in the profile match calculation. If you could single out a sample image and profile that together show the effect - that would very useful too.

Thanks a lot!

Vlad
Ok, sure.

Images, are normal images just straight out of my digicam, which is a Canon Powershot G5 (and now, thanks to the improved exif support in the latest NI version, even un-standard ISO exif coding as canon, gets properly recognised... wow! ;-) ).

My profiles, are the riccardo's profiles downloadable from NI website (the only ones available), I just unzipped them onto the PROFILES standard directory.

Then I properly set both the PRESETS and PROFILES settings, to go to the right place to find the files (In my case is c:\Program Files\Neat Image\PROFILES ,etc...).

In fact, the profiles gets 100% properly recognised, and every images matches the right profile automatically, *BUT* the "profile match" percentage column in the filtration queue is bugged, and sometimes show 0%, as if the profile didn't match correctly, even if it did and it should show 98 or 100% instead of that buggy 0%.

The fact is that if I redo the whole process, the images that get the bugged 0% are always different, and that shows quite clearly this a pure graphical bug: the profile matching engine is working 100% correctly.

That's it.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Yes, I have understood the general idea but just trying to reproduce the effect.

BTW, if you see an incorrect 0% value in the Filtration Queue and then you open Filtration Job Editor for this task, is the Profile match value in Filtration Job Editor also incorrect?

Thank you,
Vlad
omero

Post by omero »

Haven't found yet how to properly reproduce it. It sometimes happen, sometimes not.

It seems to be TIGHTLY connected to the profile matching parameters and changing them on the fly while you have the filtration queue opened.
omero

Post by omero »

NITeam wrote:Yes, I have understood the general idea but just trying to reproduce the effect.

BTW, if you see an incorrect 0% value in the Filtration Queue and then you open Filtration Job Editor for this task, is the Profile match value in Filtration Job Editor also incorrect?

Thank you,
Vlad
No, strange is that the profile matched correctly, so it GETS the right profile, BUT it still shows 0%.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

There are two indicators that show profile match level: one in filtration queue (in the corresponding column), another one is in the bottom of Filtration Job Editor. I just wanted to know whether both indicators show 0% when the one in filtration queue shows 0%.

Vlad
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

I have been able to reproduce the effect with one of G5 images I have here. I will try to find out what makes the indicator show the incorrect value in the queue (in the Filtration Job Editor the value is correct).

Vlad
omero

Post by omero »

NITeam wrote:There are two indicators that show profile match level: one in filtration queue (in the corresponding column), another one is in the bottom of Filtration Job Editor. I just wanted to know whether both indicators show 0% when the one in filtration queue shows 0%.

Vlad
Ok, tried it again. I can now reproduce it quite easily, it seems.

When I get a 0%, i highlight the image in the filtration queue with the 0%. If I highlight it, no profile match value is at the bottom, just other info (5 bits/pixel, blank, 1/320, Canon Powershot G5).

If I right click on the 0% image and click edit, it popup a new window, the filtration seems to begin, and I get a profile match value at the bottom, which seems to be always right (I've tried 8-10 times, and I always get a non zero value).

I've also noticed that I can trigger the 0%/Right value random swapping, if I select all the images and click on the queue or hold buttons... some images gets 0%, some gets right value... and every time I click "queue" different images gets 0%.

It's really a graphical issue. ^_^
omero

Post by omero »

Found what triggers it!

If I set the profile matching to IGNORE ISO, the bug is gone. If I set ISO matching to MATCH, the bug is there.

So I guess it's a issue with the non-standard ISO location for Canon digicams, or something connected with that. ;-)
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

I believe the problem starts with the profiles that were built with an older version of Neat Image that could not read Canon ISO at the time.

Please build a few new profiles using your own images and then try to reproduce the same effect by doing profile matching over these new profiles and consequent queue-game. If this will eliminate the effect than the problem is indeed with profiles.

Thank you,
Vlad
omero

Post by omero »

NITeam wrote:I believe the problem starts with the profiles that were built with an older version of Neat Image that could not read Canon ISO at the time.

Please build a few new profiles using your own images and then try to reproduce the same effect by doing profile matching over these new profiles and consequent queue-game. If this will eliminate the effect than the problem is indeed with profiles.

Thank you,
Vlad
Ok, I'll try and build new profiles with the new NI version and see if that solves the problem.

If that's the case, I'll then send you a zip with the updated G5 Profiles, so you can post it on the web for any fellow G5 Owner to grab ;-)