color shift - resolved

resolve technical issues related to use of Neat Image
harryhobo

color shift - resolved

Post by harryhobo »

When loading images scanned with a imacon flextight 646 scanner there is a problem with the resulting color of the image after removing noise. Parts of the image are much too red, magenta. In fact the color balance of the image changes. At this moment i use the demo version.

In the flextight image is by default embedded a flextight color profile. When i replace this color profile by adobe RGB before applying neat then the problem seems solved. All colors remain the same.
So it seems neat has some problems with this embedded flextight color profile.

Is this know?
Thanks,
Harry
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Yes, this is a known effect in the Demo, which does not preserve much of extra information stored in image including the color profile. In non-Demo edition, especially when you use the plug-in version, the problem does not arise.

Vlad
harryhobo

color shift

Post by harryhobo »

Thanks for the answer. This is a good reason to buy your excellent programm.

Maybe color profile support should be supported in the demo. By accident i discovered the 'solution' for the color profile problem. Normally i would stop using the program. Because everything else seemed to work as expected, i thought the color shift also was as you programmed it.
I thought: ' again a program that almost works....'

You see a lot of nice programms, only a small percentage really does what it is supposed to do. Normally, when testing something new, you do not want to spent too much time for it. This kind of problems in a testing period is not the best way to promote the product.....

This remark is meant for the demo version of course, because your program is very useful.

greetings

I am very happy now with neat,
Thanks.
Harry.
mookhead

Still seeing a problem with Pro Standalone

Post by mookhead »

I'm still seeing a marked color shift after processing.

The image is a 48bit TIFF produced from a raw converter, in the AdobeRGB colorspace, and output as a 48bit TIFF. I used to raw converters (RawShooter and DPP) with similar results.

I can provide sample images on request.
mookhead

more information

Post by mookhead »

I did the following experiment:

NI version: NeatImage Pro+ 4.4
Picture: Taken on Canon 300D, RAW mode, adobe RGB
Converted, with no alteration, to two files: 8 bit TIFF and 16 bit TIFF, in Adobe RGB color space.

Experiment #1: process 16 bit version via NI standalone, into 16 bit TIFF
Experiment #2: process 8 bit version via NI standalone, into 8 bit TIFF
Experiment #3: process 8 bit version via PS Elements 2.0 + Plugin, into 8 bit TIFF

All conversions were done using Default Mode, YCC Color space, auto everything.

I then compared images. #1 and #2 produced very noticeable shifts, darkening, and desaturation of colors.

#3 produced no shift.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Could you provide these images (the original and Experiment #2 and #3)? I believe the issue is related to the way the color space tag is interpreted by your image viewer. The image data itself is the same in all cases. If I saw the files I could say for sure what goes wrong and how to correct that.

Thank you,
Vlad
andewid

Post by andewid »

I have noticed color shift too. It isn't a lot so I think it is simply because the noise from the camera is actually tinting the image. When NI remove this noise the tint has changed back.

Sometimes it would be nice to have it not do this though.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

In the e-mail conversation with mookhead (see above in this topic) we found that the color change was caused by the fact Neat Image (on the mookhead's computer) had the option to preserve the metadata disabled. After it was enabled everything went normal.

Vlad
mookhead

Confirmed

Post by mookhead »

After re-enabling metadata conservation, the color shift disappeared.