Having trouble recognizing proper profiles

resolve technical issues related to use of Neat Image
ph0t0man

Having trouble recognizing proper profiles

Post by ph0t0man »

I used the auto profile builder, and opened a few images to see if it was picking the right profiles. It was, everything was working fine. Then I wanted to structure my profiles in a similar way to the help files show.
After I got done, NI can't find the proper profiles for any images :(
What did I do wrong?
http://www.pbase.com/image/32477681/original.jpg
Inside each of those ISO folders is:
SharpHard.dnp
SharpNormal.dnp
SharpSoft.dnp

I know it won't pick up on the raw files, or will it? Should I call that folder MRW Files, or something...to do the device profiling, I had to convert to .jpg, so I don't know how NI would know they were originally jpgs.

Also, another question, when I did the profiling, it gave me 48 profiles from 36 images. I don't know how that happened...any explinations? The "default" folder is what I did with the ones that didn't have pic0xxx.jpg in the file names.
-Matt Davids
Dimage A1 User
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

There are two requirements for Profile Matcher to work properly:

1) The image used to build noise profiles should contain EXIF data (which should include all important camera mode parameters);

2) The input images that you want to process should also contain EXIF data so that Profile Matcher could match EXIF data of the input images with EXIF data obtained from profiles.

Please try to work with JPEGs for beginning, take profiles built from JPEGs and try to use Profile Matcher for JPEG input images when Profile Matcher is set to look for profiles in JPEG profiles' folder (this is controlled by Options | Profile Matching | Matching device noise profile folder setting).

Then try the same with RAW profiles and images alone.

It is quite possible that RAW images (converted to TIFF or JPEG before profiling and noise reduction) do not contain enough (or at all) EXIF data. You will find this out by working with different types of images separately.

It is not important how you name folders or profiles themselves; the folder structure is also not important. The only important thing is to set the Options | Profile Matching | Matching device noise profile folder settting to the folder which contain profiles you want to use for matching.

Regarding 48 profiles from 36 images, I don't know why that happened, probably because there were other profiles in the same folder before. Please try to reproduce the same result starting with an empty folder.

Thank you,
Vlad
ph0t0man

Post by ph0t0man »

The strange thing is...
Everything worked fine until I renamed the profiles and structured the folders. Now, nothing works.
I will start from scratch again, and see how it goes.

I know the source images had the exif data (except maybe the converted raws, because PS7 does destroy some exif...), they were straight from the camera, and they worked.
I know the images I was trying to profile had exif, because they were straight from the camera (I also have Dalifer, which will show me ALL of the exif tags KM supports).

Oh well, back to the drawing board
-Matt Davids
Dimage A1 User