still bad ISO values from D70 with neatimage plugin PS CS

resolve technical issues related to use of Neat Image
thierry-l

still bad ISO values from D70 with neatimage plugin PS CS

Post by thierry-l »

I was happy to see that neatimage V4.3 is now able to find the correct ISO value from D70 image (and i have tested it, directly with neatimage, it's ok)
but when I open the same photo in photoshop CS and then call neatimage (via the plugin of my Pro + version) it doesn't find the ISO value as if photoshop had erased this field (even if I have not already saved the modified file)
I think there is no way to correct this (in fact the only way should be for neatimage program to read the file on the disk (because as i have not already written the file from PS, the EXIF part is still good on the disk))
if you have another idea ?
thank you for the other improvements
Thierry
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Thierry,

Thnak you for the report. If you could send us a sample image (it is probably a JPEG from the camera, right?) we would try to follow the steps you describe - open it in PS CS and then in NI plug-in to see whether the EXIF really keeps the ISO value or it is already corrupted by Photoshop.

Thank you,
Vlad
thierry-l

i'll prepare a little jpg file

Post by thierry-l »

my test was with a tiff 16bit image but i think it's the same with a jpg file, i'll prépare such an example and i 'll send you the file as soon as possible (probably tomorow)
thierry
thierry-l

the problem is only with .TIFF !!

Post by thierry-l »

I am very surprised but the same file saved as .jpg from NC4 is well recognized by neatimage (with PS plugin and with neatimage direct)
but with the file .tiff , neatimage detect the good profile when used directly but detect a wrong value via the PS plugin (it detect ISO 1250 instead of ISO 200)
I send you the two files .jpg and .tiff
thank you for your analysis
Thierry[/img]
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Thank you for more details and for image samples.

I have checked both TIFF and JPEG files and it is clear that PS provides Neat Image plug-in with modified version of the EXIF data fields from the TIFF file. It seems PS is intentionally removing MakerNotes part of the EXIF data fields and therefore the ISO rate is no longer available. Why PS does that to the EXIF in this case (usually it does not)? - I guess because the EXIF data fields written in TIFFs by NC4.1.2W are in some way corrupted. That is very much possible - we already had cases when camera manufacturers produced software for their cameras that created invalid EXIF records. Some of such bugs were even compensated in NI. See NI History of changes in v4.25 for example, today's TIFF trouble may be caused by the same bug in NC and by reaction on that bug by PS. Probably an updated version of NC solves that problem.

Vlad
thierry-l

Thank you, I'll wait the next version of NC4

Post by thierry-l »

I'm just surprised that PS just remove the makernotes when the file is in Tiff format and not with jpg files (I confirm the makernotes disparition when I save the tiff file from PS, and I read the exif with exifer)
I have now the NC4.1.2 and the problem is still present
we just have to wait the next upgrade
thank you for your help