PS Plugin profile automatching doesn't work

resolve technical issues related to use of Neat Image
ruuskan

PS Plugin profile automatching doesn't work

Post by ruuskan »

I just prepared profiles for my Canon G6. When I tested them, I noticed that PS plugin always loads the ISO100 profile. EXIF data IS in the TIFF files, and NeatImage DOES find the matching profile when run in stand-alone mode. In profile matching I've specified camera and ISO as high priority criterias.

Another issue: Any news/plans about profile<->filter preset one-to-one association? I really like this feature in Noise Ninja, but NeatImage does better job for low ISO mages.
I hate having to load the desired filter preset separately every time!
ruuskan

Some more info/bugs

Post by ruuskan »

Another thing I noticed:
In stand-alone mode the noise profile matching finds the right profile, but when I send the job to batch queue (using the Esc-key), the profile is changed to ISO 100 profile, no matter what was found in the previous step...

I'm using NI 4.3
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Could you send me a few profiles you prepared and an image from your G6 (or a download link)? - I will try to reproduce the effect and then see what goes wrong. The effect may be caused by PS but we have to check that to be sure.

Thank you,
Vlad

P.S. Regarding profile-preset mapping, we have this in our development plans so it will be implemented in one of the future updates.
ruuskan

samples

Post by ruuskan »

You can download JPEG crops (ISO50-400) + G6 profiles at
http://www.kolumbus.fi/jouko.ruuskanen/ni/ni.zip

The profile association is good news!
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Ok, I see why the profile matching is not working: the profiles do NOT contain ISO values. Yes, you added the comments, but the EXIF info provided by Photoshop with the images you used for profiling did not contain any ISO so the profiles have no EXIF ISO values. You have to build new profiles using these JPEGs. The new profiles will then get the complete EXIF info (including ISO).

So the whole issue was caused by Photoshop not providing EXIF information to the plug-in.

Vlad
ruuskan

OK...but

Post by ruuskan »

I'm not sure if I get it...
Why do the profiles work if I run NI in stand-alone mode?
And do you mean that profiles can't be built using TIFF files in PS, and I always have to use JPEGs?
Can TIFFs be used in stand-alone mode? Does the ISO info get inserted then?
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Any files can be used either in the standalone or in plug-in as long as EXIF information is available to Neat Image. If Photoshop prevents certain EXIF information from reaching the plug-in then this information cannot be saved in profiles. There is no EXIF/ISO in the profiles you built. Why Photoshop is doing this with those TIFFs you have? - I cannot tell unless I see at least one of the TIFF files. If you give me a download link, I will chech what is going on in Photoshop.

Vlad
ruuskan

ok...

Post by ruuskan »

I used the standalone mode to build profiles from TIFFs, and now profile matching seems to work.
Here's are crop of a TIFF file though:
http://www.kolumbus.fi/jouko.ruuskanen/ni/crop.tif
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Thank you for the crop but I don't think I can really see what was in the original TIFF because its metadata including EXIF have already been seriously modified by Photoshop.. This crop does contain the ISO value and can be used for profiiling.

Vlad
ruuskan

Metadata

Post by ruuskan »

Ok... the crop does seem to work! I don't have the space to put the original TIFFs on my web site, but I can tell you that the EXIF data was there to start with, for example PS showed the correct info - ISO included - in its file info dialog. What I did was to process RAW files using ZoomBrowser to TIFFs (8 bit mode, 16 bit doesn't support EXIF data), open them in PS, crop them slightly, and the run NI plugin.
I guess this'll remain a mystery, at least I have my profiles now!
And from now on I'll watch carefully if NI is able to fill the Device Mode dialog when profiling.
Thanks for your support!
gabrielma

Same behaviour with Canon 10D images processed w/C1PRO 3.5.2

Post by gabrielma »

Hmm, I just created a new thread, tried using the search function but this is the core of the problem.

I can confirm the same behaviour. It's not only Photoshop. Until I upgraded to C1 PRO 3.5.2, I've started experiencing this issue too.

It's funny that the EXIF info gets read in the standalone program (not the PS plugin), and it blatantly shows what my ISO info is, but if I do not select "autoprofile", the "Copy EXIF data" option from the menu will remain greyed-out.

In case you're wondering, I have WinXP, NI Pro+ v4.32, Canon 10D images, PS 6.0.1 and, of course, C1 PRO 3.5.2