NeatImage 4.32 Home with Linux and Wine

resolve technical issues related to use of Neat Image
ibirman

Post by ibirman »

Hi,

I just purchased and installed 4.32 Home in hopes of using it with Linux. I am able to install and run the program, but can only get as far as the Device Noise Profile step. Profiling goes to 100%, but then nothing happens - all menus and buttons are greyed out and I can't do anything at all. Is there a way to get this version to run?

Thanks,
Igor
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Are you using the latest version of Wine?

Does Neat Image work properly in Windows on your PC?

Is there a difference in how it works in Windows and in Wine? Could you demonstrate the difference on a screenshot?

Thank you,
Vlad
ibirman

Post by ibirman »

Yes, NeatImage works in Windows. I have a dual boot PC, I first installed and tested under Windows and had no problems. I then booted into Linux and ran NeatImage.exe off the windows install. I also ran the install program and installed onto the Linux partition with identical results.

I am using wine 20040213

Each time I start NeatImage it asks me for my user name and code. I uploaded this screen to: http://www.cyberigor.com/ni1.jpg

Here is what I get once I run the noise analyzer: http://www.cyberigor.com/ni2.jpg

Not everything under the toolbar buttons gets filled in, but that does not matter. The problem is that all the options are greyed out at this point and I cannot continue.

Thanks!
Igor
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

That version of Wine looks somewhat outdated. We have been successfully running Neat Image in Wine 20040914. Probably updating your copy of Wine would solve the problem.

Also, we are preparing an updated version of Neat Image that will fix the issue related to incorrect GUI rendering in some versions Wine, so that may be useful in your situation as well (thank you for the screenshots - they most likely show the same trouble with GUI that we are addressing now).

Vlad

P.S. We have just uploaded an updated version of Neat Image. Please check whether it solves the GUI trouble in Wine. Thank you.
ibirman

Linux and wine issues fixed!

Post by ibirman »

I downloaded the latest version of wine - 20041019, and the 11/25 version of NeatImage. I was able to run the install program from Linux - though I had to do it as root, it gave me permisssion errors otherwise.

It works! I am now able to do everything. I still have some GUI issues however. I uploaded the screen capture to:
http://www.cyberigor.com/ni3.jpg

Thank your for fixing this so quickly! I don't know where you are in the world, but here in the US it is the Thanksgiving holiday, so now I have this to be thankful for as well.

Igor
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Igor,

Thank you for checking the new version. We will try to figure out why some of the GUI trouble remains. In the recent versions of Wine, they made some changes to visual appearance of GUI elements and it seems that not everything in Wine is working right.

Thank you,
Vlad
InfiniteMonkey

Post by InfiniteMonkey »

I just installed version 4.4 under Crossover 4.0 on Fedora Core 3 and the menu rendering problems are gone.

Just wanted to say thanks.
InfiniteMonkey

Post by InfiniteMonkey »

Sorry, that was the pro+ version, not the home version. Not sure if it makes a difference. I guess should have read the topic title more carefully. :oops:
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

I think there should be no difference between editions in that respect.

Thank you for reporting.
Vlad