User I/F suggestion

suggest a way to improve Neat Image
kdiefendorff

User I/F suggestion

Post by kdiefendorff »

I suggest a better indicator of which Profile and which Preset file is currently loaded.

The Neat Image window is not wide enough to display the full pathname to the files, if the pathnames are long, which they usually are.

Worse than this, however, is the fact that when you bring up Neat Image the next time, the Profile and Preset file pathnames are replaced with ...:recent.dnp and ...:recent.pfp, respectively. Thus there is no indication at all of what actually is loaded. This is especially annoying if the last time you brought it up Neat Image was two hours ago, or two days ago, or two weeks ago. So you must reload them to be sure you have the right ones.

--
Keith
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Thank you for the suggestions.

Yes, the space is always not enough. And yes, we are going to make more space to show more of the pathnames.

Regarding the second part of your suggestion about "recent.*" vs specific profile of preset file name, it is not that simple as it may seem.

Recent.dnp and recent.nfp are separate files on the disk so if the plug-in says "recent.dnp" it means that separate file is loaded, not profile that was probably used originally (if you loaded one from the disk). Every time a profile is created or loaded it is automatically saved to the recent.dnp file so that you could at least re-apply the filter in Photoshop. Think about the following scenario: you use Auto Profile, do not explicitly save the resulting profile and immediately apply the filter. Then you re-apply the last used filter in Photoshop. Neat Image is invoked with no GUI. Which profile should it automatically load? - As it is now, recent.dnp will be loaded and it will always contain a copy of the last actually used profile even if that profile was not saved on the disk.

Thank you,
Vlad
kdiefendorff

Post by kdiefendorff »

If I do Auto Profile or something then there is no problem displaying ...:recent.dnp.

The way I will use the filter, however, is to load a profile matching the camera (D70, 10D, ...), file type (JPEG/NEF), and ISO (200, 400,...) and apply it. It would be nice to know what profile was loaded last so I know whether or not I have to reload.

Why not just keep track of the camera/type/ISO of the most recently loaded profile? If someone does anything to destroy the validity of this info (like Auto Profile), then just wipe out the info and display ...:recent.dnp.

Presets are not as big a problem. If there was just a solution to the Profile problem that would be enough.

--
Keith
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

We are going to show more information about current device noise profile like that is done in the original Windows version.

Regarding using "recent.dnp" with Auto Profile and <specific file name> with loaded noise profile, we will have to check whether such a behaviour will be consistent with the rest of the functionality, including that of the Windows version. Probably it will be fine so the change you suggest may be done in the future versions.

Thank you once again,
Vlad