neatimage - linux - wine : try winetools

resolve technical issues related to use of Neat Image
rob miller

neatimage - linux - wine : try winetools

Post by rob miller »

Hi,

just a quick plug for something that works niceley: try

http://www.von-thadden.de/Joachim/WineTools/

to set up your Wine directory, add IE6 (oh joy), etc. and then you get the HTML help files working for NeatImage. Only piece that doesn't work is getting the desktop icon extracted, perhaps because I don't see a NeatImage.ico in the install dir.

I'm currently using NI4.4, Wine 20050111

cheers,

rob.
Nikolaus

Can you post your wine config file?

Post by Nikolaus »

Dear Rob,

I am trying to get NI 4.4 home to run with wine 2005011, but whenever I hit any button in the Device Noise Profile page, it crashes with a segmentation fault.

Maybe you could post your wine config file for me to check whether your settings are any different than mine?

Thanks a lot

Nikolaus
(who was happily using NI on Linux until the move brought the WLAN, the WLAN the update to SuSE 9.2, which brought a new wine version :( )
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Nikolaus,

Could you post the details of the error messages you receive? Probably that would help to identify the source of the trouble. It may be a bug in NI or a "regression" in Wine.

Thank you,
Vlad

P.S. What they say about 20050111:
This is release 20050111 of Wine, a free implementation of Windows on Unix. This is still a developers only release. There are many bugs and unimplemented features. Most applications still do not work correctly.
Nikolaus

NI Crashes on Wine

Post by Nikolaus »

Dear Vlad,

thanks for your prompt reply.

I used 20050111 only when NI (or wine) crashed with version 20040813, which is the version that came along with my distribution (SUSE 9.2 Kernel 2.6.8).

I tried both winedbg (won't run the program, or I just don't understand how it works) and the shell variable WINEDEBUG, but still failed to get proper debugging output.

Session looks like this:
nikolaus@hal:/windows/share/Downloads> wine /windows/share/fake_windows/Program\ Files/Neat\ Image/NeatImage.exe

Comment: NI starts up, I click on open input file

fixme:commdlg:GetFileName95 Flags 0x00800000 not yet implemented
file_set_error: No medium found
file_set_error: No medium found

Comment: file input dialog works fine, input file is loaded. I switch to the device noise profile screen. I now either select something, and click on the rough analyser ruler button, or straight on the auto profile button. Sometimes I can see the noise analyser progress bar move for a split second before the program aborts. Shell says:

Speicherzugriffsfehler

which I would translate to english as a memory access fault, or a segmentation fault.

Once I got the following message instead of the "Speicherzugriffsfehler", but don't recall which button i hit:
err:seh:setup_exception stack overflow 188 bytes in thread 0009 eip 0052db91 esp 405d0f44 stack 0x405d0000-0x406d0000

I might try the winetools after all and see whether it makes any difference.

Thanks for your help - I'd really love to continue with NI on Linux rather than switching to win...

Nikolaus
Nikolaus

stack overflow

Post by Nikolaus »

the stack overflow I get when I choose a device noise profile from the pull-down menu, i. e. one from the PROFILES folder...
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Thank you very much for detailed description of the effects you observed.

Let me comment on some of them.

Regarding, the error messages in the file open dialog and the crash when using the profile popup menu, I guess the trouble comes from incorrectly set options. Please check the paths to the profiles and presets as well as the path to the profile matching folder (see Options). All these options should have reasonable values, correct them if necessary.

Regarding the crash on building a profile, that is of course very strange. I would really like to see more information about that, including any error messages or details like those you quoted about the popup meny crash. Having some addresses and error message we could try to identify the source of the trouble more precisely.

Vlad
Nikolaus

Post by Nikolaus »

Dear Vlad,

I checked for the drive settings and they seem to be ok, NI actually finds the profiles, I can happily select them, only upon opening one it crashes.

I managed to get some debug output, when I hit Auto Profile, or make a selection and hit the ruler button, the last line is:
warn:seh:setup_exception exception outside of stack limits in thread 000c eip 0052dbb6 esp 41b26110 stack 0x41b25000-0x41c25000

selecting a noise profile from the pull down menu leaves me with:
err:seh:setup_exception stack overflow 188 bytes in thread 0009 eip 401acd53 esp 405d0f44 stack 0x405d0000-0x406d0000

Does that mean anything to you, or should I try to send you a full log of the debug output? This is going to be tons of lines like:
warn:ntdll:NtCreateFile L"\\??\\Z:\\windows\\share\\Fotoalbum\\2004\\Archiv\\Desktop.ini" not found (c0000034)
warn:file:CreateFileW Unable to create file L"Z:\\windows\\share\\Fotoalbum\\2004\\Archiv\\Desktop.ini" (status c0000034)
warn:commctrl:DPA_GetPtr not enough pointers in array (0 vs 0).
warn:gdi:GDI_GetObjPtr Invalid handle (nil)

As all this is continuously happening whilst the program runs fine, I did not get too worried about these.

Thanks a lot

Nikolaus
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Thank you for more details. So far it looks quiet strange because there are indications that the trouble is caused by the execution environment (Wine) rather than NI itself, but it is not clear why that is happening. We will try to investigate that.

Thank you,
Vlad

Post by Guest »

Dear Vlad,

I have used the winetool to set up wine from scratch. I still have a few programs running successfully, now including Internet Explorer.

The situation with NI is not improved - I can't even start it now, it immediately exits with:
err:seh:setup_exception stack overflow 0 bytes in thread 0009 eip 0052e027 esp 405d1000 stack 0x405d0000-0x406d0000

I have tried NI4.5 now with different versions of wine (20041019 and 20050315), with no difference.

Is there any hint you could give me how to investigate this further?

Regards

Nikolaus
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Hi Nikolaus,

They (winehq.com) say the following about both 20041019 and 20050310 versions of wine:

"This is still a developers only release. There are many bugs
and unimplemented features. Most applications still do not work
correctly."

I believe 20050315 is not very much different from 20050310, especially since the above comment is still present in the latest version 20050419.

They probably introduced some incompatibility in Wine, starting from one of the versions in Q3-Q4 of 2004 and that incompatibility has not been properly resolved yet. Maybe it has, in the latest 20050419 (we haven't tried it yet).

I know for sure that Neat Image works fine in one of the Wine versions released in the first half of 2004 (I don't have the number right now, need to check that with my colleague).

So, I recommend to try the latest version of Wine first, and if it doesn't work then try one of the versions released in Q1-Q2 2004.

Also, you may want to report this issue to Wine developers, for example add comments to this report.

Hope this helps.
Vlad
toon

neatimage and wine issues solved?

Post by toon »

Hi, took me quite some time but i finally managed to get neatimage running on my fc3 box:
i had to compile wine from source CFLAGS="-m32". In this way i got rid of the error:
assertion failed: bogus context in local_unwind. Maybe you could add a note somewhere
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

toon,

Thank you very much for the input. We will try this on our FC machine to see what difference it makes.

Thank you,
Vlad
y0zhk

(:

Post by y0zhk »

[Sorry for my english]

I have tried more than 30 versions of Wine on "Fedora Core 4", and only this one solved the problem :wink:

wine-20050524-1rh8winehq.i686.rpm