LARGE selection option!

suggest a way to improve Neat Image
neatfreaky

LARGE selection option!

Post by neatfreaky »

I know, i know, i know that it is recomended to only use small sample selections of an out of the way area.... but it would be great to NOT be limited to JUST the tiny selection available and be able to size the selection to as small or as large as you would like as needed for the project.

I truly think this would unleash the TRUE creative capabilities of this great filter.....!!! :D

Please please please consider this! Thanks!
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Do you mean the selections in the Device Noise Profile tab? The ones used to build a profile?

Thank you,
Vlad
neatfreaky

Post by neatfreaky »

yes! it would be incredible if this can be done in the next version!! i would pay a gazillion dollars for this feature alone...actually i know a lot of graphic designers and pro photographers that would pay much for this!
...and yes i do realize it is outside of the program's original intent, but the creative effects it creates are simply stunning! whether it is on skin tones, 3d models, photography....i've seen quite a few other postings on the neat image forum about how great it is BUT it only works on lower resolution 72dpi photos ONLY because you are able to cover a lot more of the photo with the 100x100 selection....if you try to do that with a 240dpi image the effect is completely lost.

smartblur within photoshop can slightly mimic the effect...but it is nothing like the majestic treatment neat image does! please consider! I'll be the FIRST in line to purchase via paypal!!!! :D
zeonic

Post by zeonic »

Hi, I don't think I would pay a 'gazillion' dollars but I also would love to see this feature too in the next update and I think ALL the people on the forum that talk about specially manipulating SKIN tones would love it too since it doesn't appear to work with larger files and tiny selection. Going through many of the forum topics it appears that a lot of people are discovering the rich beauty of smoothing out skin tones, which seems to work fine on smaller photos but doesn't work at all with the larger ones so please include this option in the next release and you will have continued support from us, thank you! :cry:
sh4dow

Post by sh4dow »

has this already been included? or is there some workaround? anything?

i'd really love to use neat image to optimize pictures for large print sizes but as far as i have seen neat image only seems to work well with 72dpi images... very well in this respect but still... :(
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

The current version of Neat Image supports areas of up to 256x256 pixels when you build a profile. To filter those larger scale details you have in (low spatial frequencies) large images you may want to enable very low freq option in Neat Image. I believe this should help you achieve the desired result.

Vlad
sh4dow

Post by sh4dow »

thanks for the tip - it does work a little better but still no comparison...

picture resized to 20% of its size:
unfiltered: http://sh4dow.uttx.net/temp/londonct_original.png
filtered at original resolution: http://sh4dow.uttx.net/temp/londonct_prefilter.png
filtered after resizing: http://sh4dow.uttx.net/temp/londonct_postfilter.png

as you can see the sky gets nowhere as smooth when filtering at high resolution. i even tried cranking all parameters up to the max but the sky still didn't get that smooth and in addition all details of the picture of course got awfully blurry...
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

It would also be interesting to see the original image if that is possible. Please save as JPEG with high quality, this should be enough.

Thank you,
Vlad
sh4dow

Post by sh4dow »