To Resize First or Not?

questions about practical use of Neat Image
Wingspar

To Resize First or Not?

Post by Wingspar »

I’m sure this question gets asked a lot. I searched, and only found one thread on this subject that didn’t really speak to my situation, so here goes.

Many times I use NeatImage I process over 100 images at a time. I shoot jpg. I open the jpg file, and apply the noise filter. What I have been doing lately is cropping the image, then applying the noise filter. I do this before any other processing of the image. I then take it into my photo editing program, resize, and then apply the normal curves, levels, and USM in that order. It seems to work.

How would it work if I cropped the photo, then resized, then applied the noise filter before any more processing? Am I losing anything by doing it that way? I tried it once and don’t remember the results, but maybe they weren’t all that good since I haven’t done it since. It does speed the process up, but does it reduce resolution of the photo?
Gary
Will Fly for Food
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

If you use pre-built profiles to process your images then it is better to process unresized image. Crop is fine but resizing changes the noise properties and pre-built profiles will not match the resized noise anymore. However if you use Auto Profile instead of pre-built profiles then it doesn't matter whether you resize or not.

Vlad
Wingspar

Post by Wingspar »

Thank you for the feedback. I build profiles with one of the images with the camera, lens and ISO used for that image, and save with a name that lets me know what profile to use for the images I’ve shot. They are fairly consistent. Same gym and same football field lights, so body, lens and ISO sets my profiles apart. I just did a test with an image cropping then using my profile and auto profile on the same image, and it’s difficult to tell them apart. I’ll continue with my current workflow. Crop, apply noise profile, then resize and finish editing in photo editing program.
Gary
Will Fly for Food