Extended advanced mode noise reduction sliders

suggest a way to improve Neat Image
scorpicon

Extended advanced mode noise reduction sliders

Post by scorpicon »

NI is an amazing program, but I think its noise removal would be perfect if one could have a set of high/med/low sliders for Y/Cr/Cb.

I understand this would equal 9 level sliders and 9 reduction sliders. However, I have found that I have times where there is a lot of high noise in the Y, med noise in the Cr and Cb and little high noise in the Cb.

Right now I can only say, "there's a lot of noise in Y, remove it." But I can't specify what kind of noise is in Y. I feel that I could preserve greater ammounts of fine detail if I could make those individual tweaks.

I would also like to see something similar in the sharpening area as well, although this is less crucial.

Thanks!
NITeam

Re: Extended advanced mode noise reduction sliders

Post by NITeam »

scorpicon wrote:Right now I can only say, "there's a lot of noise in Y, remove it." But I can't specify what kind of noise is in Y.
Actually you can. If you know that the noise is in Y channel only and in Mid frequency only, then set all the noise reduction amounts except Y and Mid to 0% and only the Mid frequencies in the Y channel will be filtered.

If the noise is present in all color channels, then you can do this in three steps. First, assume that Cr and Cb channels are noise-free and set Cr and Cb noise reduction amounts to 0%. Adjust noise reduction amounts related to frequency components. Then apply filter. That will take care of the Y channel. Now, repeat the same but assume Y and Cb are clear, Cr is not. - You get the idea.

Yes, that will take more time for adjusting the filter and repeating filtration but filtration will be faster because you only filter one channel per round.

The suggestion to add more sliders is a good one and we will probably do that in the future, in a kind of super-advanced mode. At the moment the GUI simply has no more space for those additional controls. :)

So, thank for the suggestion. I hope the idea about separate filtration of the color channels will be useful too.

Kind regards,
Vlad