On-screen NR not matching output file - resolved

resolve technical issues related to use of Neat Image
azraphale

On-screen NR not matching output file - resolved

Post by azraphale »

I just began using Neat Image recently, although I have several years of experience with Capture One, and have been using Photoshop and shooting digitally for over a decade. I took to NI rapidly, but I have what appears to be a bug of some sort that is very perturbing.

When opening an image in Neat Image, it looks as it does in any other image editing or viewing application (with the exception of converting from the image's working color space to my monitor profile, as NI is not color-managed, it would appear). So far, so good. I built profiles for my cameras and fine-tuned them with actual images; I also built presents for noise reduction for various cameras and ISOs. So far, no problem.

However, what I see on the screen in Neat Image after applying noise reduction is VERY different from what the saved file looks like. I have taken screen caps from Neat Image, the "before" and "after" saved images (viewed in Thumbs Plus), and have converted them from my monitor profile to sRGB so others can see exactly what I see on my screen. Notice the heavy banding on the saved image, which is not present in either the original image or the on-screen view of the de-noised image in NI. If I can't trust what I see on the screen when making noise reduction adjustments, NI isn't very useful to me.

Is this something I am doing wrong, or some kind of bug in NI? The original image was processed to a 5 bbp high-quality JPG in sRGB by C1 Pro; the on-screen image was a screen cap direct from my monitor while running NI; the 'after' image was saved as a 95% quality JPG from NI, with the sRGB profile assigned to the resulting file (NI stripped the color space tag; I addres this in another thread). I have images, but right now nowhere to host them. Email me and I can send them to you. They were all saved in Photoshop as quality 10 JPGs in sRGB. Thanks/
Adam Wade
Professional technical writing
and motorsports photography
espresso_doppio@yahoo.com
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Please send me (support at neatimage.com) an original image that you use, the noise profile and filter preset that you use. Also, the screenshots that show the banding on your display.

Also, since you are mentioning the problem of color profile presumably lost in resaving I believe we better resolve this issue first because it may be the root of the problem.

So, I will wait for the samples by e-mail and then will try to reproduce, diagnose and find a cure to this problem.

Thank you,
Vlad
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

After e-mail conversation with azraphale, we have found that the trouble was caused by incorrecly encoded metadata in images saved by C1.

While the real source of the trouble is C1 and it should be fixed, the new version of Neat Image (v5.x) should be able to handle such corrupted images just fine.

Vlad

Post by Guest »

This seems to be the same problem I am having, using TIFFs from PS CS2. The output image looks fine in NI but then, once saved and opened in elsewhere, the image is different.

Is the solution found here likely to benefit me? If so, how was the issue resolved?
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

I don't think this is the same thing. Please contact me by e-mail with a small sample image that shows this effect and I will check what is causing the trouble.

Thank you,
Vlad