Building profiles for IR

questions about practical use of Neat Image
Fabriz

Building profiles for IR

Post by Fabriz »

I'm using an Oly c2020 for IR photography and am experimenting with building noise profiles.

I have printed the calibration sheet because my LCD monitor is completely black using the IR filter.

As I want the best possible pictures, I photograph with TIFF.

But initially, I seem to get better noise reduction using the actual picture as the profiling base rather than the profile that I have through the calibration target.

Any clues as to what might be wrong?
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Are the shooting conditions the same when you shoot actual scene and the target? Do you use the same camera mode? Do you use the same file format in both cases?

Thank you,
Vlad
Fabriz

Post by Fabriz »

Well, yes, exept for white balance, which I have on Auto and thus will differ from picture to picture. But you have stated that it is a minor element in noise. I printed a beautiful target on matte paper, set up a weird looking contraption in front of my house, hung the target and focused on infinity. Can't really think of how to do it better (except I had the camera on wide so got rather a distorted picture) but will do the shooting again from a bit further away to be on the safe side.

One does not always have pictures with good clean patches so a calibrated profile is needed.

I wonder, by the way, if NI is smart enough to find a usable 100x100 patch from a photo by itself (I'm now talking about a regular picture, not the Calibration one) or if one has to move the Preview to such a place in a photo before advancing? In which case, how many pixels is the Preview window in its Default mode? The manual is not specific about this procedure.

Thanks.
henrik
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

I have an idea about what may cause that trouble with the calibration target image - somehow the analyzer selects a sub-optimal flat image image area for analysis and the resulting profile becomes not accurate and it leads to inaccurate filtration. To check this I would need to see the photo of the calibration target that you use. Could you upload it and send me a link by e-mail or simply send the image by e-mail?

Regarding selecting areas (like 100x100) for analysis, yes, Neat Image is doing this all the time with all the images that you build profiles from. The current version of the plug-in doesn't show where this selection is but the next version will do and that will help you control the profiling process.

When you use Auto Profile in the current version you don't have to select anything in the Preview, the plug-in does everything automatically. The only thing you can do to direct the plug-in to a specific area that you want to use for analysis is to crop the input image to that area and then build a profile using this crop.

Hope this helps.
Vlad