trial version

general questions about Neat Image

trial version

Post by Guest »

Not for professinal use. Does this mean I cannot sell a photo I used the demo version on. :?:
GoranM

Post by GoranM »

Why would you use the demo version for photo sales? It won't preserve the image after you save it thereby degrading photo quality. If you sell photos, you should get the full registered version.
Albert

Post by Albert »

Would someone elaborate on this. GoranM's answer is not informative.
It won't preserve the image after you save it thereby degrading photo quality.
What does he/she mean ?? Is there some difference in the way the demo saves as compared to the paid versions ???
GoranM

Post by GoranM »

If you save a Jpeg file after working on it for the first time, quality is very high, but not perfect. If you save in .BMP, .TIFF, . PSD, etc.. format, image quality is preserved, however, the image size in MB's is pretty big. The trial version will degrade the image quality more than normal after the very first save. The full version will preserve the image a lot better than the Trial version.
That's my take on it.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

The Demo edition of Neat Image for Windows will only save output images in JPEGs (which is a lossy format) with fixed compression level.

Non-Demo editions will save to JPEG with adjustable compression level as well as to loss-less TIFF and BMP formats.

Hope this helps.
Vlad
kyknferno

Post by kyknferno »

Unfortunately, the fixed compression level on the Demo edition makes it useless when comparing your before and after images. For example, I just demo'd Neat Image and while the input image was a 1.5MB jpeg, the output image was only 371kB. Funny how the program is used to clean up over compression problems in jpeg and yet the demo version overcompresses the output. Clearly, the point is that they want to make money, however it is difficult to decide to buy the program when you can't see the differences in print due to the inability to output a similarly sized/compressed image. The is a "rock and a hard place" argument since they don't want people actually creating images without purchasing the software. I will have to wait until someone buys a REAL version and try that. Unfortunately upon asking around, no one has heard of it.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

I believe 'they' is me in this particular case. :-)

kyknferno, while I am pretty sure the Demo does not overcompress the output, I am ready to help you out by processing your input image in my copy of Neat Image Pro, with your noise profile, with your filter preset and by saving it into a JPEG file with the compression level you choose (from 1 to 100, 1 is smallest size, 100 is the largest size). I will then e-mail the output JPEG to you.

So, if you want to test it with larger JPEG I can help you. However I am sure this will be quite the same as using the Demo itself, because the Demo saves the output JPEGs with the quality level of 91, which is pretty high. The file is small simply because JPEG better compresses noise-free images.

Anyway, I am ready to process a sample input image for you. Just send the image, profile, preset and desired JPEG quality level to support at neatimage.com.

Cheers,
Vlad
kyknferno

Post by kyknferno »

So, if the Demo "does not overcompress the output" and the output from the REAL versions "will be quite the same as using the Demo", then why can't you specify for yourself the jpeg quality/compression level in the Demo version. Isn't this disabled for a reason?
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Does the Demo overcompress the output images in your tests? Are the onscreen results and the output JPEG images very different? Are there any JPEG artifacts in the output JPEG images? - Somehow I doubt it, because the quality level is really high. Of course having it fixed at 91 is not exactly the same as having a possibility to control the quality level, but it is very much enough for any testing purposes.
beruberu

Post by beruberu »

kyknferno wrote:Unfortunately, the fixed compression level on the Demo edition makes it useless when comparing your before and after images. For example, I just demo'd Neat Image and while the input image was a 1.5MB jpeg, the output image was only 371kB. Funny how the program is used to clean up over compression problems in jpeg and yet the demo version overcompresses the output. Clearly, the point is that they want to make money, however it is difficult to decide to buy the program when you can't see the differences in print due to the inability to output a similarly sized/compressed image. The is a "rock and a hard place" argument since they don't want people actually creating images without purchasing the software. I will have to wait until someone buys a REAL version and try that. Unfortunately upon asking around, no one has heard of it.
Hello,

You are really not fare...... You have a free demo to use as long as you want, and you are not happy, even more..... You will have a complete product without limitation for free??????????

Do as many of us...... Buy the first version.... and as you'll love it you'll update.... as I did....

And have a look at this message: http://www.neatimage.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1324

Good luck.... :wink:
Best Greatings from Switzerland.
Phil
http://www.focusnature.ch
http://astrosurf.com/skylover/