Area Not Uniform In Y Channel? - resolved

resolve technical issues related to use of Neat Image
Wingspar

Area Not Uniform In Y Channel? - resolved

Post by Wingspar »

I just upgraded from home 4.4 to 5.0. I ran some images from a shoot thru v 4.4 with no problems, but now I needed to run some different images from the same shoot with V5.0. On all but one photo, I got the error message “Area Not Uniform in Y Channel”. What the heck it this? I can use an old filter, which was not created with these imgages, and it turns out ok, but why can I not create a new filter, or even do an Auto Profile with V5.0? All I get is the same message. “Area Not Uniform in Y Channel”
Gary
Will Fly for Food
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

This warning tells that the selected area is indeed not uniform (some visible detail is included in the selection) and therefore should NOT be used for noise analysis (profiling).

As you know from the user guide, only flat featureless areas should be used for profiling.

In the previous versions of Neat Image, this requirement was described in the user guide but was not explicitly checked/reported back to a user. In the latest version, Neat Image does check the selected area and estimates the uniformity of the area to help a user select the best image area for analysis. Usually it is not difficult to find an area that doesn't show
that warning.

When the profile is built, you can check the uniformity indicators in the Profile Viewer. The more uniform the noise sample is the higher quality of the profile (you can see the profile quality in the Profile Viewer and in the bottom of the Filtration Job Editor or plug-in window).

In principle, nothing prevents you from using an area said to be non-uniform. This will simply result in a less than maximum quality of the profile and possibly less accurate noise reduction.

This warning is supposed to serve as a guide for beginners who may not clearly understand which image areas should be used for analysis.

In some rare cases, certain images show this warning even on seemingly flat areas. However, this is just an apprearance of uniformity, while some of the channels in fact contain quite non-uniform data. This is easy to see in the Component Viewer, especially with the contrast increased.

Basically, there is no problem whatsoever. If you are used to work with the previous versions of Neat Image without any warnings then you can simply continue using the latest version and disregard the warnings completely. However they may help if you try to get the best possible results, probably better that what you could typically achieve with the previous versions of Neat Image.

Hope this helps.
Vlad
Wingspar

Post by Wingspar »

I have one photo that when I try to use the auto profile, I get the message “Neat Image cannot automatically find uniform area. You can continue building profile using found area, but profile quality will be low. Continue building profile”? I also get the message “area not uniform in Y channel”.

I said yes, and the image came out looking like a poor quality photo on regular zerox paper that had been dropped in the water. Totally unusable. It will allow me to use an existing profile from a different ISO setting, but there is no noticeable difference between the original image and the one with my old profile after running the profile, so I had to print the photo without cleaning up the noise.

For what it’s worth, the photo is of the crowd in a stadium at night at ISO 1000. Guess there must be some types of photos that NeatImage can not handle?
Gary
Will Fly for Food
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Wingspar wrote:Guess there must be some types of photos that NeatImage can not handle?
I think you just have to manually select a better area for analysis and the filtration results will be better. It is the way Neat Image used to work for a long time (I mean when a user manually selects an area for analysis) and in the latest versions you have a luxury of getting an automatic selection which in most cases provides good results but in some rare cases you still have to assist automatics and select a better area based on your understanding of properties of digital images.

My recommendation is the following: select a flat featureless area, which is not bright white nor dark black but rather something in between and which shows the strongest noise in your working image.

Vlad
webdev

uncheck under options?

Post by webdev »

NITeam wrote: This warning is supposed to serve as a guide for beginners who may not clearly understand which image areas should be used for analysis.
Oké nice but when I run things in batch mode the confirm popup breaks it. it would be nice to have a checkbox under options so I can get this dummy feature out of my favo software !? Then it leaves the power to the user, personaly I don't like it too much when software is trying to be too intelligent.
NITeam

Re: uncheck under options?

Post by NITeam »

webdev wrote:it would be nice to have a checkbox under options
It is already there (the option to disable warnings about bad uniformity and clipping). The warning about small area may be added to that option in the future.

If you had in mind another message please advise.

Thank you,
Vlad