Suggestion for Profile building selection

questions about practical use of Neat Image
RanKep

Suggestion for Profile building selection

Post by RanKep »

Neat Image 3.0 on the Mac is amazing. The new, larger preview window is fantastic and the updated features are a nice update to previous versions.

My suggestion for the next version is the ability to move the selection box by clicking in the window. I use the "hand" tool to move my photo around until I find an area to "sample" and build my noise profile. The square selection box does not move with me.

As I move the photo around, I have to drag the selection box with me. It's easy to get ahead of the box or lose it completely. I'd like to see a more intuitive method, or perhaps by simply clicking in the window, the selection box would be placed, centered in the preview window?

This software is developing along very nicely...thanks to all!
2 x 2.93 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon with 10GB RAM, 512 NVidia Grahpics card and (2) Canon 5D's.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Thank you for this suggestion. I agree the selection could work a bit better and we will try to improve this aspect, probably by providing a way to make a new selection instead of dragging the original one.

Thank you!
Vlad
Spire

Post by Spire »

I would also find it very useful to be able to resize a selection by dragging on the selection border.

This is especially important during manual profiling, since fine adjustments often have to be made to the selection in order to obtain a suitably flat area. It's tedious to have to reselect the entire area to make these fine adjustments.

I would also prefer a thinner selection border -- ideally one pixel wide. Currently, the border thickness depends on the selection size. It can be confusing to have such a thick border, not only because it obstructs the underlying image, but also because it's not obvious whether the border is included in the profile or not. (It is, right?)

In case some people prefer the thick border, maybe the border width could be configurable.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Actually you can resize it right now. This is not very obvious (there is little visual feedback during this process) but if you drag the border then it will resize.

BTW, I believe you realize that you don't need to select anything to apply Auto Fine-Tuning, am I right? On the other hand, you do need to select an area when you do semi-automatic profiling with Auto Profile.

Thinner selection is an option but we traditionally used the thickness to indicate the size of the selection and to show how many spatial frequencies fit into the selected areas. The whole area in the frame and under the frame is used for analysis.

I guess we will be able to make this configurable once we establish an Option dialog as in the Windows version.

Thank you,
Vlad
Spire

Post by Spire »

Actually, I'm using the Windows version. My apologies; I didn't notice that this thread was in the Mac subforum.

I still cannot find a way to resize the selection; dragging the border merely moves the entire selection. Is this currently a Mac-only feature?
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Yes, this is a Mac only feature. In the Windows version you have to re-draw a selection yourself.
Spire

Post by Spire »

I hope you'll consider adding this useful feature to the Windows version as well. Thanks, and sorry again for the off-topic Windows tangent here.