Can neat image be use on video?

questions about practical use of Neat Image
Gerald Sr.

Can neat image be use on video?

Post by Gerald Sr. »

I would like to know if Neat Image can be use on videos to remove noise and grainy images. If it can be done, which Neat Image should I buy to do this job. Thanks.

Gerald Sr.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Current versions of Neat Image can only be used to filter individual frames from a video sequence. There are ways to use Neat Image with video sequences based on frame-by-frame processing, for example see this thread.

Hope this helps.
Vlad
Gerald Sr.

BATCH PROCESSING NOISY AND GRAINY VIDEO USING NEAT IMAGE

Post by Gerald Sr. »

NITEAM, I READ THE THREAD CONCERNING MY QUESTION ON USING NEAT IMAGE FOR NOISY AND GRAINY VIDEOS. HONESTLY, IT WAS BEYOND MY KNOWLEDGE OF VIDEO EDITING. IS THERE A SIMPLER WAY TO EXPLAIN IF NEAT IMAGE CAN BE USE AS MENTIONED ABOVE? THANKS.

GERALD SR.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

What tools do you use to process video? - The answer to your question depends on that.

Vlad
Gerald Sr.

Using Neat Image for videos

Post by Gerald Sr. »

Hi! Vlad: The type of softwares that I'm using for video editing is Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5 and Pinnacle Studio Plus 9. Neither Adobe Pro 1.5 or Studio Plus 9 have a good noise reduction. Thanks.

Gerald Sr.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

The current version of Neat Image will not directly help you with those programs, unless you are ready to use the frame-by-frame processing method I referred to earlier.

I am now adding your comments to our wish list and we will consider directly supporting the applications you mentioned in the future versions of our noise reduction tools.

Thank you,
Vlad
Gerald Sr.

Neat Image for frame-by-frame to process noisy videos

Post by Gerald Sr. »

Vlad, thanks for your reply. I really appreciated that. However, how can I use Neat Image to process noisy videos frame-by-frame. As I had mentioned, I could not understand that example in the thread you had mentioned. Can you please give me a simpler way on how to use Neat Image on a video frame-by-frame? Thanks!

Gerald Sr.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

The key idea is to split a video file into a sequence of still images, save them into individual image files and then process each of them using Neat Image.

Vlad
greybeard

Neat Image for frame-by-frame to process noisy videos

Post by greybeard »

I also would like to process noisy video, as well as individual frame grabs. I was processing individual frame grabs OK until I switched computers (mine developed a problem during an upgrade and I am using my wife's computer until we can resolve that problem).

With version 5.0 and now 5.1 I cannot get the Neat Image plug-in to work in my Photoshop 7.01. I have submitted a bug report on that.

However, there is a more fundamental problem with processing video frame grabs. My DV grabs have pixel dimensions of 654 x 480, with the result that there is almost never a good sample area of adequate dimensions. It appears that we will have to use a test image for video. But it is annoying for me that Neat Image used to work for video frames and now it doesn't. :cry:

GB
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Neat Image still works as before, you just have to ignore those warning. You can disable them using a setting in Neat Image options.

Thank you for submitting the bug report. We have received it and replied to you by e-mail.

Vlad
DaveQ

Video Processing

Post by DaveQ »

I've coded the solution to your question!

Just released: Neat Batch / Neat Batch AVI

http://www.isochroma.com/Testfiles/NB/neatbatch.htm
greybeard

The solution

Post by greybeard »

Dave,

Thanks a lot. I visited your site and downloaded Neat Batch / Neat Batch AVI and some of the support utilities you linked to. My upgraded system is now operational with WinXP Pro and I am using it to write this. The Neat Image plug-in now works with my Photoshop 7.0.1.

I don't know if it is worth ABSoft's time to figure out why the Neat Image plug-in wouldn't work with my old system while the Noise Ninja plug-in demo worked just fine. ABSoft's email to me seemed content to concede that Neat Image couldn't be expected to work with an older AMD K6-2 in Win98SE. Since much new software does not support anything previous to XP, ABSoft's position may be justified. But I'm sure the Noise Ninja folk like to enjoy this advantage over Neat Image.

GB
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

I suspect this issue with the NI plug-in on AMD K6-2 in Win98SE is not common. It may be specific to that computer only. I wonder if anyone else can reproduce the same effect on a similar system.

We have your report in our system but unfortunately cannot reproduce this effect because we have no direct access to such a system. If other forum members can contribute by reporting their observations then we could probably make more progress with resolving this issue.

Thank you,
Vlad