Hot pixels removal: when?

suggest a way to improve Neat Image
betterdays

Hot pixels removal: when?

Post by betterdays »

I'm a newly registered user of NI 5.0, and I'm amazed by the sheer speed improvement over v3.0 that I tried a few months (years?) ago...

But Neatimage is so good at retaining detail that hot pixels become even more obvious in the middle of a clean area...!

I agree with old posts in that we could provide NI a hot pixel map taken in the dark... but it wouldn't work for cropped shots, we'd have to locate an anchor for the map, etc... I'd like to see a sort of "quick hot pixel marker" tool, that we could use to add 1 or more problem areas... then an average of the surrounding pixels would be just great to make the hot pixel less visible (or even remove it). Just as we can choose the amount of noise reduction applied by NI.
I'm suggesting a marker, as I'm currently processing a set of wedding pics from 3 cameras, and 2 of them have only 1 hot pixel but at different locations, of course. Or if there's a way to read the camera's unique serial number in the EXIF data, then the map option could be automated even with different cameras mixed.
I fear the shutter speed-dependent removal might be a bit complicated to implement... however, a color-comparison-based routine could be pretty fast: a white pixel surrounded by an all black surface sure is annoying. This same white pixel on light grey is much less of a problem...
Likewise, my 10D and D60 both exhibit blue or purple hot pixels, visible on most areas but especially on dark tuxes or hair... I wish I could post a picture!

Because hot pixels contribute to the dirty look of our images... I'd like to be able to remove them together with noise ;-)

Keep us updated, Vlad! thanks in advance
cogitech

Post by cogitech »

Great idea!