Calibration target

questions about practical use of Neat Image
Ilan

Calibration target

Post by Ilan »

Is it a reason for the calibration target within NI 5.1 for display monitor to be in color and for printing purpose (save target as...bmp format) in b&w
Is b&w preferable for shooting a profile for digital camera of a printed calibration target.
Thx for support, :)

Btw:Is it a way for renaming variants in the "variant selector"?
Ilan
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

The version of the target that is saved into a BMP file is grayscale just to let you print it on a regular B&W printer. You still can make a screenshot of the displayed color calibration target and then print the screenshot from any image editor, provided your printer is color one.

Using the color target is slightly better so if you can print it out on a color printer than use the color target.

There is no possibility to rename variants right now, but we could include this into our wish list. Do you have any specific idea why renaming could be useful?

Thank you,
Vlad
Ilan

Calibration target

Post by Ilan »

Vlad, thx for the advice, I will opt for a color c. target

Regarding the renaming for "variants" it might help to give meaningful names for presets so you can know also what was done in each preset not only what looks best (when toggle between variants the selected preview changes respectively but the presets display setting do not) so when dealing with more than two variants I can't always
remember what exactly I did (in order to repeat in the future a certain altered pattern if needed) . Maybe a better solution could be a live display of the updated preset settings. Anyway I don't think that this is really a necessary feature.
I think selections might be improved if they were more flexible, as this is the most important user involvement in the process, something like lasso or crop in PS or better be like free selection 360' in PS :idea: (move rulers separatley for selection) could be that the program must deal with rectangular only, so it can excecute the best possible rectangular cutout after the user draw a free selection
also the the selection rulers better be thin as posible, hiding less as possible from the image area (the clipping and pixel selection size info could be displayed somewhere outside the image

But anyway, I have to gather much more experience before I'm entitled
to give any suggestion
So take my words with limited guarantee!

Thanks,
Ilan
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Thank you for the suggestions, Ilan!

BTW, if you double-click on a variant, then the filter settings are set to this variant. So if you have two variants to compare, you can double-click on one and then on another to see how the filter settings change.

Again, thank you for the suggestions.

Vlad