profile quality suggestion

look for ready-made device noise profiles and offer your own ones here
Alain

profile quality suggestion

Post by Alain »

Hi

Maybe a small suggestion: The current way I use to find out the quality of a newly made profiles can maybe made a little bit easier... (Maybe there's a way which I don't know.)

I open a random photo and then open a directory with the new profiles (used batch profiler to make those new ones), but there the quality is not visible even when using the auto preview. So I open one and then use the profile viewer and write the quality from every profile down.

Given the fact that I try to make several profile photo's with more or less the same condition's this is usefull to select the best one's.

Either adding the value in auto preview or inside the filename would be a nice enhancement. Using the filename is maybe best, but could be much more work, adding the value to the auto preview is probably less work and nearly as good.

Alain
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Alain,

Thank you for the suggestion. Since this is a suggestion, I will move this topic to the Suggestions branch.

Regarding profile quality in auto preview I think this could be added, though seeing that you build several profiles for "more or less the same condition" I would recommend to build profiles for clearly distinct device modes and then let NI select the one that matches the current input image (i.e., to use Profile Match). In this way you would not need to find profiles manually. You would save more time and still get the high filtration quality, provided the profiles in your profile set are of good quality.

Thank you,
Vlad
Alain

Post by Alain »

Vlad
NITeam wrote:Alain,

Thank you for the suggestion. Since this is a suggestion, I will move this topic to the Suggestions branch.

Regarding profile quality in auto preview I think this could be added, though seeing that you build several profiles for "more or less the same condition" I would recommend to build profiles for clearly distinct device modes and then let NI select the one that matches the current input image (i.e., to use Profile Match). In this way you would not need to find profiles manually. You would save more time and still get the high filtration quality, provided the profiles in your profile set are of good quality.

Thank you,
Vlad
I do make profiles for clearly distinct device modes, but while doing it I do usually make more than one profile for -more or less- the same conditions. (It's simple to take a few photo's more.) After making the profiles with the batch profiler I want to keep only the best profiles and to remove the profiles with a lesser quality who have more or less the same conditions as a better one. In practice they only differ a bit with the shutter speed (for example one profile with 1/10s and another with 1/13s), and the quality changes not that much (for example 98 and 94). Maybe I'm just going to far, but it's not more work dan just one photo for every distinct mode.

In use I do use profile Match (and like it very much), but want to avoid it using profiles who do have a little bit less quality, if I have have a better one with very similar conditions.

Alain

BTW. The noise removal with Neat Image is outstanding.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Alain,

Thank you for clarification. Yes, I agree that the profile quality indicator could be useful at the stage of selecting the best profile (from a group of similar profiles) for a specific device mode.

Thank you for the suggestion.
Vlad