What is the internal format of dnp files?

look for ready-made device noise profiles and offer your own ones here
hvj

What is the internal format of dnp files?

Post by hvj »

I am scripting Photoshop in javascript and the first step is using neatimage: building profile, finetuning and filtering.

But after filtering I have to do some decision based on the noise level of the image: if there is a lot of noise (ISO3200 shot) I do not want to refocus the image but need more sharpening, but on a clean image I want refocus with bigger radius and less traditional sharpening after that step.

This decision can be made on ISO level, but I prefer shooting in RAW, overexposing the shots with +1 or +1.5EV and in ACR open the shot with -1.5EV to get the real lights. This way an ISO1600-3200 shot will have much less noise (looks like an ISO400-800) so after neatimage the result will be clean!

So I need a way to read out the Noise Levels from the generated RecentProfile.dnp file and use that for deciding what to do in sharpening.

Please give me an offset where can I find the overall noise level.

Thank you very much!

hvj

Ps: I love NeatImage, it is awesome!
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Unfortunately it is not directly possible to get the figure you want from a DNP file. There are several technical reasons for that.

I suggest the following solution. To estimate the noise level of the processed image, subtract the filtered image from the original one and then calculate stddev for the result. The higher noise levels are the larger stddev will be.

Hope this helps.
Vlad