Any benefit to multiple profiles for same conditions?

look for ready-made device noise profiles and offer your own ones here
shileyd

Any benefit to multiple profiles for same conditions?

Post by shileyd »

I am scanning several hundred negatives with a Nikon 5000 ED scanner. All negatives are Kodak Gold 200 and the scans are all at 4000 dpi. The only differences between images are some were shot with flash and some without. Some frames are horizontal and some are vertical.

Through careful selection of negatives and auto profiling, I was able to create several profiles with quality ratings of 100%. When viewed in the Profile Viewer each of these profiles has slighlty different data and different "Overall" ratings.

My thinking was that if I batch process the remaining negatives and set the Profile to automatch and auto fine-tune, NI would select the most appropriate of the profiles I created and then tweak it.

However, it appears all NI does is select the first profile in the list with the same device and film speed. If that is true, then I could eliminate all but one profile. And if true, then which of the profiles that I created would be the best? Should I just choose the one with the highest "Overall" score?

Thanks
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Yes, you can leave just one profile that corresponds to one device mode (that is the resolution in case of a scanner). Neat Image will load it and fine-tune it to the current image and that should make filtration most accurate. Yes, select the best quality profile and remove the other ones (or move then to some backup folder).

Hope this helps.
Vlad
shileyd

Post by shileyd »

Thanks for the prompt response Vlad. That answers my question.