Sharpening in neatimage?

general questions about Neat Image
DaveA

Sharpening in neatimage?

Post by DaveA »

My work flow is from Raw converter to Neatimage if needed.
Is the sharening function in Neatimage, to counter any lost of detail from the noise reduction, or is it just to sharpen for output?

Unless soomthing to be gained by also using Neatimage sharpen function, Id perfer to just bring into PhotoShop and sharpen with PhotoKit.

Thanks for any advise

Dave
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

The sharpening function in Neat Image is to enable smart sharpening which sharpens details and doesn't sharpen noise that may remain in the output image (you may want to deliberately leave some of it). External noise reduction does not differentiate real details and noise and sharpens everything. You probably have to check whether that makes any difference in your images and use one of the sharpening methods (or both) depending on that.

Hope this helps.
Vlad
DaveA

Post by DaveA »

Vlad,

Yes it helps, thank you.
One other question, althrough I do not see any with my eyes, does NeatImage used correctly, have any softening effect on images?

Dave
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Softening effect is usually in the eyes of beholder, so if you don't see then there is none. Some people consider image without noise softer just because the noise creates an illusion of sharpness.

Vlad
DaveA

Post by DaveA »

Vlad,

Thanks, I'll go with that, Im finding that leaving some nosie in, seems to work best for me.

Dave