Working Spaces

questions about practical use of Neat Image
paulhodson

Working Spaces

Post by paulhodson »

The Working Space recommends using YCrCb for all Color images but when I load a file from my 10D (which is in the aRGB color space) it changes to RGB and automatically takes me to the advanced mode.

Why is this and can I avoid it as the simple mode is advanced to me!

Thanks
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Do you just load the image file or you also load a noise profile (which may use the RGB working color space so NI has to switch to the space of profile)? Do you load a filter preset? Do not forget that loading a noise profile and filter preset may happen automatically depending on the settings you have chosen in NI Options. So, loading exactly which item does change the color space to RGB and mode to Advanced: image, noise profile or filter preset?

Thank you,
Vlad
paulhodson

Post by paulhodson »

Thanks Vlad - it was loading a noise profile which caused the change :)
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Then you have to use profiles built in the YCrCb color space to process the image in this space. If your profiles contain noise sample then you can simply manually change the color space in Device Noise Profile box and then save such modified version of each profile to the hard drive for future use. If there are no noise samples in profiles then you have to build new profiles from scratch. For example, use the Calibration Target as suggested in this page.

Vlad
paulhodson

Post by paulhodson »

Sorry Vlad - I'm a bit simple! As I see it if I load my image and build an automatic profile (which is the preferred option) then I just proceed in the YCrCb space and all is well.

If I cannot build a profile due to the image and go for an automatic one (based on downloaded profiles) then the space changes to RGB.

In this case I presume I can continue in this space (but have to use the advanced mode).

Not clear what exactly you mean by "If your profiles contain noise sample" and if I have loaded a downloaded profile I don't see how I can save a modified version by changing the space to YCrCb as when I do this the profile is then reported as not ready
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

If you downloaded profiles from our webpage then there is no noise samples so this option is not available anyway. Normally you can check whether a profile contains a noise sample using the Profile Viewer in Neat Image (click in Device Noise Profile box).

I recommend to build new profiles using the Calibration Target. Please check the user guide, it explains the detailed steps that you have to make to build a reusable profile set for your camera.

Or just keep using the RGB profiles. This is not that bad after all.

Vlad
paulhodson

Post by paulhodson »

Thanks Vlad :)