Large 16 bit images and memory failures

resolve technical issues related to use of Neat Image
collum

Large 16 bit images and memory failures

Post by collum »

Neat Image cannot get free memory block from the operating system (216000000 byte memory block is requested)

This occurs in 5.1 and 5.2.

I process very large images (from Betterlight scanning back). Typcial image is 9000x12000 and 16 bit (620Mb files). If Neat Image is the only application running (Dual Core Pentium 3.0Ghz, 4Gb memory, Intel 955bx board), then it only happens if more than one thread is running at the same time (multiprocessing enabled). If anythine else of significance is running (ie Photoshop), then it starts a never ending chain of these dialog boxes until i can kill the process with task manager.

Jim
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

It seems the operating system does not provide enough memory for Neat Image when needed. Could you submit a bug report using the online form to let me know more about your computer? We will then try to reproduce the effect to see what is causing it and what could be done to help it.

Also, do you process a single image or several such images in the Filtration Queue when the error messages pop up? How do you open the image(s) / create filtration jobs? When exactly do you receive the error messages?

Thank you,
Vlad

Post by Guest »

i'll post the bug form after this

Computer info per your request

Windows XP, SP2. Intel Pentium 4 D 830 (3.0 Ghz dual core). 4gb DDR2, dual channel memory. Sata2 controller.

Using the filtration queue. only happens when two jobs are running at the same time .. or with 5.2, when multiprocessing is turned on (using both cores on a single image). I use the interactive queue. drag an image into Neat, work on it. then drag other images into the queue, using the same profile. The messages are recevied when the 2nd processor come into play (or a 2nd thread starts)

jim
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Lets consider the case of NI v5.2, when multiprocessor support is enabled:

If I understand correctly, you add one image to the queue by drag-n-dropping an image to the Filtration Queue window (not Filtration Job Editor). Then you configure this job and start processing by clicking Queue button. Correct?

And then, while NI is processing the first image, you are dropping several more similar images to the queue also by dropping them to the Filtration Queue window. Is this correct?

When, in this sequence of actions, do you receive the error messages?

Thank you,
Vlad