Neat Image as extrapolation

general questions about Neat Image
creeklocks

Neat Image as extrapolation

Post by creeklocks »

I am considering Neat Image, so far I am very impressed. My question is, is NI an extrapolation software? Is it used to also enlarge images? Or do I need something else to accomplish that?

As for the sharpening, does it replace Photoshop's Unsharp Mask? Or is it used in addition to it?

Thanks in advance.
Gene
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Gene,

Neat Image is primarily a noise reduction software (not extrapolation). It is mostly used to reduce noise and grain in digital images. Another its function is sharpening and it can be used instead or together with Photoshop's Unsharp Mask depending on your workflow and preferences.

Hope this helps.
Vlad
Dan

Upsampling

Post by Dan »

It seem to me that for anyone interested in upsampling photos, reducing the noise first is a very helpful step.

Based on various reviews I have read the bicubic upsampling in the more recent versions of Photoshop are pretty good, as good as most stand alone programs.

Dan
creeklocks

NI as Extrapolation

Post by creeklocks »

Thanks for the suggestion. Are you refering to PS-CS2?

I know the bicubic was nothing to rave about in PS-7 and the others such as Genuine Fractals, did a significantly better job. DO you have any of those reviews handy? I would like to check them out myself.

Gene
Dan

Extrapolation -Up scaling

Post by Dan »

I'm afraid I don't remember the article -it was a technical paper that compared 6-10 methods (4 or 5 types of bicubic, Fractal, etc.) and showed up-scaled samples of each. I think I remember a number of reviews saying that Fractal was hardly better than some freebies.

In fact it is claimed that IrFanView -has the one of the best up-scaling algorithms built in. Try it out.

As far as Photoshop - I remember reading, somewhere, that small step-wise upscaling was best with older versions of PShop. Meaning you got better results in using 10% steps at a time gave you better results than doing it all in one step. I also have heard from a number of people that the newer versions, perhaps starting w 8 or 9 (is CS2 9?), step-wise is no longer needed because doing it in one step with the improved version of bicubic is just as good.

You might want to ask this question in the PC Tools, or Retouching Forum at

www.dpreview.com

People more knowledgeable (and w better memories) than I can probably give you the links to reviews.
Dan

Upscaling in PShop

Post by Dan »

Someone showed me a book which says that the Bicubic in PShop CS2 (Image Size) which is the default is NOT the best one to use.

Use the Bicubic Sharper choice instead.

Dan