Dynax5D image not recognized by PSP X plugin -PSP limitation

resolve technical issues related to use of Neat Image
KRheinwald

Dynax5D image not recognized by PSP X plugin -PSP limitation

Post by KRheinwald »

When opening an image taken with a Minolta Dynax 5D directly in NeatImage 5.25, EXIF data is displayed properly and a proper profile is selected. When I do the same from within PaintShopPro X, NI does not recognize the (ISO) EXIF data , complains about it and does not load a profile.

Any ideas?

Klaus
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

This is a limitation of PSP, not NI plug-in. Normally, a plug-in host should provide the EXIF data from the image to plug-ins. Most versions of Photoshop do provide this information to plug-ins. Unfortunately, PSP was never able to do that, and even the latest PSP X is still not doing this, even if providing EXIF to plug-ins is not really complicated.

So, if you want to process images in NI based on their EXIF data then you either have to use the standalone Neat Image, or use Neat Image plug-in with a plug-in host that provides EXIF data to plug-ins like Photoshop / Photoshop Elements do.

Or if you have to use PSP then you can use Auto Profile / Auto Fine-Tune functions in NI to automatically build new profiles or fine-tune existing pre-selected profile for every new input image. Or you can manually select profiles for images you process.

Hope this helps.
Vlad
KRheinwald

Post by KRheinwald »

Hmmh. I am pretty sure it worked in PSP 9...

Not a very satisfying answer, btw. Am I now expected to chase Corel to fix PSP? These limitations are mentioned nowhere !
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

If it worked in PSP 9 then they broke it in PSP X. Though I believe PSP 9 also did not work in this respect. I understand your feelings but these are limitations of PSP.

Please use the standalone version of Neat Image to process large numbers of images. Another way would be to sort your images according, for example, to ISO rates and then process each ISO group using a fixed profile specifically built for this ISO. If you add Auto Fine-Tuning to this then the resulting profiles used to process actual images will be even more accurate.

Vlad