Built-in FFT/IFFT filtering capabilities?

suggest a way to improve Neat Image
kirkt

Built-in FFT/IFFT filtering capabilities?

Post by kirkt »

Is there any plan to include some sort of FFT/IFFT capabilities within NI to extend its range beyond noise supression and into the realm of regular pattern suppression? This is NOT just a simple extension of NI (I would think) but it seems like a natural progression based on some of the examples of image processing tasks posted here.

This is a wish list, right? :D

Thanks as always for a great product.

Kirk Thibault - /Mac user.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Thank you, Kirk, I will add this to the wish list. Cannot promise anything at this point except that we will consider this idea in our team.

Thank you for the suggestion!

Kind regards,
Vlad
kirkt

Post by kirkt »

As we are talking wishlist here, it would be cool if the FFT/IFFT window had a live preview window and a filter mask window, in addition to whatever slider and doo-dad type controls. The filter mask window could have a background layer of the actual FFT and the user could "paint" using typical paint and draw tools on the background image and see live updates of the image preview (the realtime IFFT). Also, the user could export the FFT as a TIFF, etc. and use photoshop or whatever to create a highly customized filter mask, and then import this into the Neat Image FFT/IFFT module. Also, you could have some sort of "smart" auto filter mask construction if the image has a background or other type of isolated are where the periodic pattern is the only feature in the area (similar to the use of regular image profiling with user selectable areas of feature-free noise in Neat Image) and then have similar slider type controls to modulate the various frequencies and color channels - very parallel in construction and metaphor to the current Photoshop plug-in implementation of neat image.:shock:

That would be sweet. :lol:

Dream on....
Philbach

FFT in Neat Image

Post by Philbach »

I do a lot of work in Retouch Pro.com and the problem of removing paper texture and other repetitive noise patterns from an image comes up quite frequently. PC users do use a FFT transform Photoshop Plug In filter but as far as I know there is none available for the Mac. Adding that capability to Neat Image with a comprehensible way of using it would be a great addition.
Phil
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

kirkt, Philbach, thank you for the suggestion. I have added this to our wish list.

Kind regards, :-)
Vlad