Auto vs. Profile Match

questions about practical use of Neat Image
kdoc

Auto vs. Profile Match

Post by kdoc »

Hi: I'm new with this program, just trying a friend's out, and learning it. When I used just the auto profile button, I got a good looking result with a 77% quality and 100% match. When I repeated this a little time later, I got 100% for both. And when I did an auto match (having a couple of the RAW 20D profiles from the website), I got 100% quality and 85% match--not looking quite as good.

So I'm asking the following: which is the most important, the "profile quality" or the "match"? How do you experts use this: do you usually use the auto, or some use of a profile? Do you use some profile, or use, instead a combined auto match profile? Also, do you move around the location of the little square being samples, or leave it wherever it shows up: (on another trial, it showed up in a light area once and a dark,shadow area on another.)

Thanks very much

kdoc
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

It may be useful to select another area and repeat Auto Profile to see if this produces a higher-quality profile.

Regarding, Auto Profile vs Auto Match, try a combined approach: first do Auto Match, then do Auto Fine-Tuning. In this way, the profile will be much closer to the input image than just Auto Match.

Regarding the quality and match level indicators, these are two independent and equally important figures.
The first one is important when you build a new profile. You have to get a high quality value for the profile to be accurate.
The match indicator helps you select one of many ready-made profiles. You normally have to select the one that better matches the input image. Auto Match usually is able to find such a profile. If the match level is less than 100% then it means there is some difference in the device modes of profile and input image and using Auto Fine-Tune is especially useful in this case.

Hope this helps.
Vlad