2 questions on Auto profiling & Sharpening

questions about practical use of Neat Image
DonH

2 questions on Auto profiling & Sharpening

Post by DonH »

Hi, Really like NI and good documentation.

1. I process my images individually, am I correct in understanding that Auto profiling each image is more accurate than using a ready made camera profile except when a suitable profile area is not available?

2. I prefer to sharpen images at the end of my workflow relevant to the size of the image just before printing. Are there any issues using NI only to do the sharpening at the end? I assume that I set all the noise reduction settings to zero. Or would I be better off with a specific sharpening tool ?

Thanks
Don
NB. Could not find a mechanisim to search the forumn, did I miss something ?
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Don, thank you, and I will try to answer your questions below:

1) Auto Profile is not necessarily more accurate than using a ready-made profiles. If the input image does not provide enough large featureless areas for analysis then using a ready-made profile (of course it should be a quality one) with subsequent Auto Fine-Tune will provide better accuracy. Auto Profile is basically an initial analysis of a large featureless area plus Auto Fine-Tune, so if there is no large areas in the image then you can take a ready-made profile and it will play a role of that area's analysis that you can improve by fine-tuning.

2) Yes, you can use NI only to apply sharpening in the end of the workflow if you turn down noise reduction amounts. Regarding better or not, NI sharpening may produce somewhat different sharpening that other tools so you may want to check different tools to see if you want to use only one of them or NI and something else.

Regarding search, there is a "search" link in the top of this page, you can use it to search the forum.

Hope this helps.
Vlad