Which NI vn & best Workflow for Kodachrome & PSEleme

general questions about Neat Image
Brencam

Which NI vn & best Workflow for Kodachrome & PSEleme

Post by Brencam »

I'm about to purchase NI but have a few final qns? This is my first post to these forums - however I'm impressed at the quality of the discussions here.

I want to reduce grain from lots of old K64 slides (from early '80s) and have a few qns. (I plan to use NI + PS Elements 3 for post processing). So far I'm seeing lots of grain in my scans (using Nikon Coolscan V). A few qns:

Would you recommend using NI in lieu of or in addition to Nikon GEM ?
(FWIW I notice the NI user guide makes no mention of grain removal strategies - focus is totally on digital noise). However I do know that NI can help with the grain problem.

Has anyone developed a workflow and/or profile for K64 that they can share - I doubt that I can find any way to take a picture ot the test chart using K64 to create my own profile? Any suggestions here?

Any advantage to the Pro+ vn over the Home+ if I am using PS elements? (What is the upgrade cost from H+ to Pro + if I later get PS C/S vn)?

I'd like to create a benchmark/reference image for my workflow. Are there any experienced NI users who would be willing to process a test image for me - I'd like to compare my newbie efforts with those of an advanced user?

TIA,
Brendan
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Brendan,

If you are not sure, I recommend to start with the Home+ edition. It is less expensive than the Pro+, yet you get most features. If you will miss some feature (like action support or 16-bit image processing) then you can always upgrade your license by paying just the difference.

Regarding noise vs. grain in the user guide, Neat Image uses the same technique to reduce both noise and grain, so if you read about noise in the user guide then you can apply the same comments to grain.

I hope there are people in this forum who work with Nikon Coolscan V and K64 slides, who will share their experience with you.

Kind regards,
Vlad