Questions before Buying...

general questions about Neat Image
NoiseImage

Questions before Buying...

Post by NoiseImage »

1. Will the Photoshop plugin work with Photoshop v.6? I'm just a hobbyist and can't justify the upgrade cost.

2. I've never dealt with photos in anything other than the JPG format. Do I have any need for the 16bit processing of the Pro version then?

3. Are there any significant differences between Noise Ninja and Neat Image? I'm not seeing any dramatic difference in quality or functionality. I'm leaning toward Neat Image merely because it has my camera profile and NN doesn't, but I'd like to base my decision on more than that if possible.

Thanks.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

1. Yes, the plug-ins works fine with Photoshop v6.

2. You may not need 16-bit support, especially since Photoshop v6 doesn't support 16 bits very well.

3. The major difference between Neat Image (which started in 1999 and which incorporates results of 7 years of ongoing research) and other products with shorter history is the noise reduction algorithms used in Neat Image are more advanced in terms of noise reduction accuracy. Basically, Neat Image better preserves true image details while reducing more noise elements.

Hope this helps.
Vlad
NoiseImage

Post by NoiseImage »

Thank you for the fast replies.

In further comparison with Noise Ninja, I believe I now see a difference in the initial use of each program, one which perhaps illustrates your answer to question #3. NN has the appearance of a better picture with just a quick look, but closer examination shows to me that it merely has a more aggressive filter. This agression smooths more noise out, but smooths more picture away as well, resulting in a bit of a plastic like look in places and muppet-like faces that isn't as noticeable in Neat Image.

I would think each program could be fine tuned to meet the users desires, but those are my views without fine tuning.

Three more questions...

1. Most of the reviews and comparisons online are for Neat Image 4, but the version now is 5. Are there any head to head comparisons of the programs that give Neat Image a fair review using the current release?

2. The other contender in my choice is Noiseware. This program touts a "Self-learning noise profile builder" unlike other programs. Does NI have a response to this feature?

3. What is the relation between Neat Image and absoft? I keep seeing the two companies listed next to each other, but absoft has never had anything to do with images in my experience and I don't see Neat Image even listed on their site.

Thanks.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Hi,

I will try to provide some more answers :-)

1. Yes, I agree that most comparisons used v4.x of Neat Image (and it shown very good results). I expect more reviews to appear this year as Neat Image v5 uses an improved filter and noise analyzer that provide even more accurate filtration.

2. "Self-learning" sounds somewhat strange, doesn't it? It learns the properties of noise in the image, not properties of self. Anyway, it is basically the same method of automatic building a noise profile but this process is hidden from the user. In Neat Image, user can control the profiling process. Neat Image can build profiles fully automatically (Auto Profile), semi-automatically (Auto Profile with assisted and controlled area selection) and manually (Rough Analyzer + Fine-Tuning Analyzer). Basically, Neat Image can do everything that other contender does but also can do more by providing more control to the user.

3. absoft is not related to Neat Image. ABSoft is. "Neat Image team, ABSoft" is our full name.

Hope this helps.
Vlad