Coping with images that have atypical noise

questions about practical use of Neat Image
Bart Hickman

Coping with images that have atypical noise

Post by Bart Hickman »

It looks like Neat Image only uses one noise sample from an image (using the auto-profiler) to measure the noise characteristics. My concern is that all P&S cameras these days have NR in the camera (sometimes pretty sophisticated) and the resultant images might have unusual noise characteristics--I've even seen cases where the signal-to-noise ratio is actually higher in bright parts of the image than in dark parts. The camera might also do odd things to the noise depending on the color in the local part of the image.

My question is, how does Neat Image cope with "wierd" noise like this when it is only sampling in one part of the image. Is there a way to get it to take multiple samples? Please enlighten me!

Thanks,
Bart Hickman
NITeam

Re: Coping with images that have atypical noise

Post by NITeam »

Bart Hickman wrote:It looks like Neat Image only uses one noise sample from an image (using the auto-profiler) to measure the noise characteristics.
Actually Neat Image analyzes the whole image. The selected area is used only for the primary rough analysis within the Auto Profile process. All other areas are found and analyzed automatically. You can also do this manually using Rough and Fine-Tuning Analyzer tools available in Advanced mode (please also see the user guide for more details on manual profiling).

Hope this helps.
Vlad