Banding removal

suggest a way to improve Neat Image
R_King

Banding removal

Post by R_King »

Would it be possible to have this done with Neat Image in the future?

See banding on left.

I have a banding removal plug-in for Photoshop but you can not script it, so no automation. When you have a few hundred images to correct it takes too much time.

Corrected jpg.

Royce King
www.kingphotography.ws
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

It is not very clear from this image whether it is bands (lines in the photo itself and/or something introduced by a scanner) or JPEG compression artifacts. Nevertheless, I think Neat Image is able to treat such imperfections right now. I tried to process this sample image (it is a bit tricky from the standpoint of building a noise profile but this shouldn't be a problem when a larger image is available) and could eliminate much of the imperfections:
The actual details are better preserved too.

Hope this helps.
Vlad
R_King

Post by R_King »

Thank you for taking the time to look at the image. I have tried to do the same with the Neat Image but it never seems to get rid of the horizontal lines. It does a great job in suppressing them but the lines are still there. The plug-in that I am using was actually made for scanner banding. I will show you what I am talking about. I will apply the scanner plug-in after Neat Image to give an example. I went and found a better example. I hope. Again Thank You for your help. I think this would be a great addition to Neat Image range of tools.

Royce

Original Image.

After Neat Image

Scanner plug-in use on the same file after Neat Image. See how the horizontal lines are gone

Scanner plug-in by itself

NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Thank you for the example, it does better shows the scanner bands. Yes, the specialized filter works well to remove the bands. We will consider this feature for future versions of Neat Image. Thank you for the suggestion.

Vlad