Filtering a cropped image

questions about practical use of Neat Image
stepasan

Filtering a cropped image

Post by stepasan »

A section of a photo is darker, and therefore noisier than the other parts. I therefore decided to copy the dark part and filter out the noise separately in Neat Image. I passed it through NI with acceptable output image, but when I open it in Photoshop Elements it appears as the original noisy photo that I copied. Thinking that I did something, wrong I repeated the process several times, but I could not get the 'neater' image back in Elements. Any clue as to what I am doing wrong? [/b]
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Probably you use an intermediate TIFF file with many layers. Try to save the file with only one layer or just copy&paste the selection to NI and then output back to PSE.

Vlad
stepasan

Post by stepasan »

Thanks, the copy and paste worked. By the way, what do you mean by intermediate TIFF file? I had only one layer in the file.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Intermediate TIFF is the TIFF file you saved in PSE and then opened in NI. Another intermediate TIFF is the TIFF file you saved in NI to open in PSE.

It may look like there is only one layer, but on close inspection you may find another layer, or another channel (like alpha channel), or mask added by PSE. These cause problems so you have to flatten the image to be sure you save a TIFF with only one layer.

Vlad
stepasan

Post by stepasan »

Thanks for the explanation.