Masking Capability

suggest a way to improve Neat Image
jmldenver

Masking Capability

Post by jmldenver »

Occasionally, the compromise between noise/grain removal and preserving image detail cannot be resolved, so it is necessary to bring pre- and post-Neat Image versions into an image editor and composite the two using an edge/surface mask.

Much more commonly, we spend a fair amonut of time with Neat Image parameters resolving the compromise.

An on-board masking capability would eliminate the first case and handle many of the second cases as noise/grain is often not an issue in image areas with substantial detail.

I am not suggesting a suite of masking tools as found in a capable image editor, but only the capability to make an edge/detail mask that distinguishes between smooth areas of the image and detail areas. It seems that two parameters are necessary. One is to vary the line between smooth and detail, and the second is the ability to blur the line to prevent obvious boundaries.

Thanks
Wolverine@MSU

Post by Wolverine@MSU »

If you're using the Photoshop Plug-in, there's a wonderful Masking Action set available that I think will do exactly what you want:

http://www.thelightsrightstudio.com/TLR ... oolkit.htm

Once masked, you can denoise the desired areas.
jmldenver

Post by jmldenver »

Thanks for the suggestion. I use Picture Window Pro for post-editing so the plug-in avenue is not available. I have been to TheLightsRight web site, and GMitchell has some fine tutorials.