Question on using NI on scanned off-set print images...

general questions about Neat Image
Fudoh

Question on using NI on scanned off-set print images...

Post by Fudoh »

Hi,

as a great Neatvideo Fan (using it nonstop since weeks now), I'd like to look into Neatimage, but have a small question first:

on the intro page you state that NI can be used as a descreening tool when working with scanned offset prints.

I wonder - would it be better to use NI on images previously descreened by my scanner's software (Epson and/or Silverfast) or to scan without using any descreening at all and let NI handle it all alone ?

Would be nice to know ! Thanks !

Bye
Tobias
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

I think the best way to answer this is to try both ways to see whether one tool (scanner software or NI) or a combination of tools (scanner software and NI) work better with such images.

Please try both ways and let us know the results.

Thank you,
Vlad
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I'll download the demo soon and give it a try. I'll definitly report back in this thread.

Thanks for the nightly support :)

Bye
Tobias
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

A tried around a little bit lately and came to the conclusion and you definitely NEED to use a scanner's descreening tool prior to using NI.

When I scan images (600 dpi) without the descreening tool, the offset patterns become so large that NI doesn't identify them as noise anymore properly...

Using the scanner's (Epson 3200) descreening tool

Scanner's descreening plus NI

Raw Scan

Raw Scan + NI

All scans at 600dpi and resized to 300dpi after everything else.

I'll order NI soon.

Thanks,
Tobias