"Renaming" a Profile

questions about practical use of Neat Image
Daveg

"Renaming" a Profile

Post by Daveg »

I've downloaded profiles for a Canon SD700 IS/IXUS 800 and they do a great job but they don't work with profile matching because the device names are different. They were created on a Canon IXUS 800 but I have the Canon SD7000 IS - same camera - different names for different markets.

Is there a way to "rename" the profile? I've tried changing the file name and Device Name in the file without any success so far. I can turn down Input device matching, but since I have three cameras, that's not optimal.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Yes, renaming the files will not help. I suggest reducing the Input device priority (matching may still be able to differentiate images from different cameras if they produce photos of different pixel size).

Alternatively, manually adjust the profile matching folder to the currently used set of profiles.

Or simply build a new set for your camera. This may be easier after all.

Hope this helps.
Vlad
Daveg

Post by Daveg »

OK, I've created a bunch of profiles and they match. That part is great but one thing bothers me. My profiles (created from the calibration target with the batch profiler) have a quality of 90 or 91%. The original profiles I downloaded have a quality of 99%. Is a 90% profile from my own camera as good as a 99% profile from another camera? Are there hints as to how to get ~99% profiles?

The calibration target was printed on an inkjet photo printer on matte photo paper. (I have a CRT so shooting off the screen is not a good option.) The camera was focused at infinity. I noticed that while the LCD showed the calibration target filling the picture, the actual pictures have a few extra pixels beyond the target on each side. Does that matter?
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

It doesn't matter much (I mean the extra pixels as well the difference 91 vs 99% in displayed quality). You can e-mail me one of the new profiles and I will check if there is anything that can be improved.

Thank you,
Vlad