Neat Image plug-in automation with Photoshop CS2 actions

questions about practical use of Neat Image
rags

Neat Image plug-in automation with Photoshop CS2 actions

Post by rags »

I was able to automate Win/XP NI 5.6 Pro+ with PS CS2 but only after considerable frustration. So I would like to post some comments for the NI folks. I am very impressed with the capabilities of NI but the User’s Guide and product usability could be improved. If you are attempting this, be sure to read the NI docs cover to cover first. And you should have some experience with CS2 actions.

The major difficulty was with recording a new PS Action for the NI plug-in. The frustration was with getting the action to record usable options for Neat Image. The action records two parameters, Profile and Preset. By default these will contain RecentProfile and RecentPreset. The problem is that when you then run the action with PS automation, it will use whatever you last did with NI (for some unrelated manual tweaking) instead of what you really wanted. The trick is to get the new action to record AutoMatchProfile and “MyPreset” so that batch is unaffected by other NI activities.

This was not simple. The trick was to use the Action menu to set Auto Match Profile instead of the Device Noise Profile (Tab) icons. Then in the Noise Filter Settings (Tab) you need to select a previously saved Filter Preset from the fly-out selection list. Anything else will cause problems later. Even Auto Match Preset (Actions Menu) will default to RecentPreset if a preset matching the profile name is not found.

This all adds up to unpredictable PS action behavior depending on how NI was last used. I was often getting bogus messages that no matching profile could be found. Or it would seem to work fine but actually used the last (incorrect for this image) profile. Or the action would record a fixed profile name. In one case, I set the PS dialogs on to check the settings then cancelled NI. From that point on, the NI filter continued to cancel even though the PS dialogs were turned off. Clearly the usability testing was not as good as it should have been (IMHO).

Anyway, I am happy to report that I was able to achieve my automation objectives and I am delighted with Neat Image. FYI, I am using a Nikon D200 and Kodak SLR/n and have profiled both.

I shoot evening soccer games where the lighting is constantly changing and usually goes from poor to worse. Thus, very high ISOs to capture action. I will spend two hours selecting 40 of 250 game shots. Then half an hour with PS Bridge and ACR minimally tweaking exposure and such and setting the crop area for these selections. Then the fun starts.

I have written some PS JavaScripts that allow me to process these directly from the CS2 Bridge selection. Thus in one batch step I can add my copyright info and such, create a merged layer for NI, run NI, resize the image for the web, do some additional sharpening, create a thumbnail image, and save everything in a new folder. All this runs from the original (Nikon D200) RAW images at about 20 seconds per image. Another script builds the HTML for this new folder in about 30 seconds. This whole process was taking over 10 hours before. Without the benefit of noise reduction.
If you are interested in this automation, please contact me offline and I can send the scripts. If there is enough interest, I will post them on my web site (some already are).

I’m very happy with NI but the documentation and usability could be improved. I have 40 years experience servicing IBM equipment so I am hardly a computer Luddite. But it took me over a week to get NI functioning in a usable manner.

Cheers, Rags :D
rags@compuserve.com
www.rags-int-inc.com
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Hello Rags,

Thank you for the comments on NI plug-in. Its good that you have identified and described in details this usability problem thus giving us some food for thought. :)

Yes, you have to use the Action menu when recording an action, and yes, you have to read the page called "Using the plug-in in Photoshop actions" in the user guide to know that. Yes, this is not obvous and perhaps we could implement this in a more intuitive way, like having the plug-in automatically select the corresponding item in the Action menu when you use (for example) Auto Match when recording an action. There are some fine points related to such a modification that we would have to consider, but in general this could be done and that would mostly resolve the problem.

So, thank you for your feedback and comments. Also, please do post your scripts on your webpage and add a link to them in this forum. I believe many other people will be happy to automate their work with your scripts.

Kind regards,
Vlad
rags

Post by rags »

Vlad,

One thing I would like to see is a way to define a user preset as the default instead of “Recent Preset”. Then I could record an action using “Auto Match Profile” and “Auto Match Preset”. If no match were found for the selected profile my default would be used instead of the most recent. Thus I would not have to create a preset for each and every camera profile. But I could create a unique (matching) preset for the very noisy camera settings.

The obvious problem with the recent preset in automation is that the settings are unpredictable. For example, the case where I cancelled the NI filter when testing. After that automation always cancelled until I ran it manually again. That was bizarre.

My automation scripts are already posted on my website except for the new one for NI. I will post it later. The NI script simply creates a new merged visible layer then calls an NI action to apply noise reduction to this layer. An action alone won’t work because the document may or may not contain adjustment layers. Actions cannot do conditional things. If the files are saved with layers, I have the option of fading the effect later.

Thanks for your responsive comments.

Cheers, Rags :)
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Rags,

In fact you can specify your preset when recording an action. Explicitly load this preset from the disk when recording an action and it will be recorded into the action. If you don't load any preset then the “Recent Preset” is recorded into the action.

You can also use preset matching to automatically select suitable preset depending on profile. Please see the user guide for more details about preset matching.

Once again, you comments about unclear way to specify profile and preset during recording an action are valid and we will work on this. Until we introduce any changes to the plug-in, please specify presets and profiles as described in the user guide.

Thank you,
Vlad
rags

Post by rags »

Vlad,

Just to be a little clearer. I tried auto profile with auto preset. If no matching preset is found, NI defaults to the most recent preset settings.

You have to either make sure every profile has a matching preset or specify a single user preset that will be used no matter which profile gets auto selected.

I already have 38 profiles for three cameras. I have three more cameras to profile. And any single event (batch session) might include images from multiple cameras. It would be nice to have a dependable single default preset and still be able to match the preset for some camera profiles. Just a suggestion.

NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Yes, I got it now. Thank you for the clarification and suggestions. :)

Vlad
rags

Automation Script

Post by rags »

To: NI Team et all,

As promised earlier I have posted my Neat Image PS Plug-in automation script here: http://www.rags-int-inc.com/PhotoTechStuff/NeatImage/.

For maximum automation function, you might want to look at the GetFilesFromBridge script, a link on that page.

I was able to get auto match preset working in interactive mode, but never reliably in batch mode. So this script assumes you have recorded two NI actions. One for normal noise reduction settings and one for strong noise reduction. It also allows you to define a threshold below which no noise reduction is necessary.

Have fun.
www.rags-int-inc.com
giuse

help

Post by giuse »

Hi, after many attempts, I found this interesting thread.
I tried to record 2 actions each invoking NI plugin with a different preset.
The Action tab in CS2 correctly shows the profile and preset that I selected with rags trick (use the Action menu since the options do not work with CS2 automation), BUT when I play them with dialog enabled (to check that profile and preset are the ones I want).... NI just sets the default one and not the recorded one :shock:
I tried setting different values for Default Preset behavior but no luck: if I set to be "Use specified default preset", then NI selects always this one instead of the recorded one, if I set to be "Auto match preset", it tells me that it cannot find a matching preset...

What should I do?
Thanks

Giuse
NITeam

Re: help

Post by NITeam »

giuse wrote:I tried to record 2 actions each invoking NI plugin with a different preset.
The Action tab in CS2 correctly shows the profile and preset that I selected with rags trick (use the Action menu
This is no trick. Using the Action menu in Neat Image plug-in during recording an action is a documented method of specifying the method of getting a noise profile and filter preset for this action. Please see the user guide, page 47. You also have to load these profile and preset during recording an action before using the Action menu.
giuse wrote:BUT when I play them with dialog enabled
When you open the dialog this way, Photoshop makes Neat Image think it is not running in an action so action parameters are not used. Do not enable the dialog when you play an action.

Hope this helps.
Vlad
rags

Post by rags »

Giuse,

Vlad’s advice was right on. All I can add is do not use the default or auto match preset options in your recorded action. Neither will work. And, make sure the presets you settle on are in the NI Presets folder.

Cheers, Rags :-)
giuse

Re: help

Post by giuse »

NITeam wrote:
giuse wrote:BUT when I play them with dialog enabled
When you open the dialog this way, Photoshop makes Neat Image think it is not running in an action so action parameters are not used. Do not enable the dialog when you play an action.
OK, that's the trick! I was enabling dialog to check if my script was correctly invoking NI plugin and it seemed not and I couldn't figure out why... (maybe this could be mentioned in next NI manual version for CS2 users).

A question: is this behavior intentional or is it a CS2 limit? In other words, I think it could be misleading: for testing purposes (or even manual tweaking during automated execution) it would be very useful that the plugin does not ignore passed parameters (so behaving differently) when dialog is enabled.
Could it be a suggestion for a possible update of the plugin or it's a "CS2 fault" :) ?

Cheers

Giuse
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

This is a feature of both a Photoshop plug-in and Photoshop itself. In principle we could try to change the behaviour of Neat Image plug-in as you suggest. However, it is quite likely that something else could be affected by this change as well. Anyway, thank you for the suggestion, we will certainly consider this idea.

Thank you,
Vlad