filtering twice????

questions about practical use of Neat Image
tonya

filtering twice????

Post by tonya »

I have some images exposed at 1600iso that I am working on.
I ran them through NI using auto profiling, then I edited and retouched them in cs2. I was still not real happy with my noise reduction on some(ran them in batch) thought about re-filtering the images without batch, but I have done retouching already and don't want to do that again....so...I ran the filtered & re-touched image thru NI again and looks like I got pleasing results, but I am scared of this "plastic" look I am reading about. I don't think they look plastic, but maybe they will when my lab prints them???
What are the recomendations for filtering this way? Am I hurting the image?
is it going to look to fake?
[/img]
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

If it looks good on screen then it will most likely look good in print. Still you really have to make a test print to know for sure.

Thank you for an e-mail, I will answer it now too.

Vlad
tonya

thanks

Post by tonya »

thanks for the reply, I did not intend to double message, I was going to post examples here and realized that it was easier to email them...
Wolverine@MSU

Post by Wolverine@MSU »

Getting back to the topic of filtering twice, what are your comments about that approach from a mathamatical/statistical viewpoint Vlad? Would a very noisy photo be better de-noised through two or more rounds of Neat Image, or can you do just as well in one pass?

An interesting question. Would details be preserved better with multiple passes?
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

One pass would be able to do the same. There is no need to use multiple passes. Roughly speaking, removing 75% of noise is equivalent to removing 50% done twice.

Hope this helps.
Vlad