Why this workflow?

questions about practical use of Neat Image
lllusion

Why this workflow?

Post by lllusion »

Mitch Weintraub in http://www.outbackphoto.com/contest/con ... essay.html (entry #4)
lightened the image using levels, ran NI, and then darkened the image with 0.8.

What benefit is there in lightening the image before running NI?
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

I think this is a question for Mitch Weintraub because any post-processing before NI is not something we generally recommend. It doesn't hurt when you process a single image, but in general it is better to not apply any postprocessing before NI to make re-usable profiles properly match your workflow (they should be built and used using the same workflow and in the same part of the workflow).

Vlad
lllusion

Post by lllusion »

Wish I could find him. Searches don't pull up any information about him.

However, haven't I read a recommendation here to use s/h tool and then NI? If so, why? If not, understandable.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

I do not recommend sharpening before noise reduction. We discuss this in the Q&A section.

Vlad
lllusion

Post by lllusion »

s/h = shadow/highlight not sharpening
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Thanks for the clarification. The same workflow-related comments apply to s/h. If you want to simplify re-use of pre-built profiles, do not apply any post-processing before NI. If you don't use pre-built profiles (if you build a new one for each input image) then it doesn't matter whether you apply some postprocessing before NI or not (well, sharpening is anyway not recommended before NI).

Vlad
lllusion

Post by lllusion »

Ok, thanks for the confirmation.