Command line execution feedback

questions about practical use of Neat Image
malamut

Command line execution feedback

Post by malamut »

Hello & happy new year,

when NI commands are executed directly from the command line, it is possible that those commands fail. For example, it could happen that the given input picture is not found, or that /mp has been specified but no suitable profile has been found.

Is there any way to find out whether and why an NI call has failed? It seems that the exit code is always zero, there is nothing written to system out or system err, and I also did not find any log files.

If no suitable profile has been found, for example, I'd like to retry the call using /ap instead of /mp, and if I made a mistake on naming the input file, I'd simply like to get informed about it.

If it is possible to get such information from NI, please tell me how; if it is not possible, please consider this a feature request. :)

By the way, is there any forecast about the date of the next release? Just because I'm the guy who'd like to use the /sl switch without losing his exif data... :)

Best Regards,
malamut
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Thank you, we will take your suggestions regarding command line feedback. The available possibilities are limited but we could do something.

Regarding the next update, I think it will be available later this month.

Thank you,
Vlad
malamut

Post by malamut »

Hi Vlad,

thanks for the fast reply & the good news! I'm looking forward to the new version. :)

In case it helps you, here's my suggestion for a hopefully very simple way to do what will probably be needed by command line users. Just return a dedicated exit code for each of the following situations:

- success (exit code 0)
- syntax error on command line
- problem reading input file
- problem writing output file
- problem reading profile (either because the given file could not be read, or because no suitable profile was found)
- problem reading filter preset

In addition, it would be nice to document what happens if both /ap and /mp are given at the same time. It seems to me that /mp is currently ignored in that case (I'm not entirely sure, though). In my opinion, it would be most logical to use /mp in such a situation but fall back to /ap if no suitable profile is found.

Best Regards,
malamut
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

malamut

Thank you for the suggestions.

Vlad