Neat Image and Photoshop CS3

general questions about Neat Image
phlegmatic

Post by phlegmatic »

Will neat image work with the Beta version or the final version of PS CS3 ? That is to say will it be usable (re editable) as a smart filter/object .

Thanks in advance for a reply
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

If you are asking about the windows version of Neat Image then it should work in CS3 beta now (you just have to install the plug-in manually). I have no information about support for smart filters yet.

Vlad
phlegmatic

Post by phlegmatic »

Vlad been doing a bit more research and yes I refer to Windows version. Based on the photoshop cafe review of the CS3 http://www.photoshopcafe.com/cs3/CS3.htm , third pary filters are not supported as non destructive filters. Not a major problem if Neat Image is applied to a duplicate layer except I guess you can't re edit it but have to begin anew.
Spire

Post by Spire »

NITeam wrote:I have no information about support for smart filters yet.
Any news on this? I've been dying to be able to use Neat Image as a Smart Filter.

I haven't looked at any of the new Photoshop CS3 SDK material yet, but I did find this little tidbit on this John Nack blog post:
On a related note, developers may want to update their plug-ins to be able run as non-destructive Smart Filters in CS3. The docs are a bit scarce on this point since we wanted to focus on the Mac/Intel issues, but the Dissolve example in the SDK includes the Smart Filter flag.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Yes, the smart filters will be supported in the next update (v5.8). Neat Image as a smart filter works well in our tests.

Vlad
Spire

Post by Spire »

Excellent news!

Do you have a rough ETA on the release of the new version?

I am willing to help test any beta versions, in case you can use help.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

I think it will come in June.

Thank you for offering your help, I appreciate that.

Vlad