Confused about Auto Profile versus Downloaded Device Profile

questions about practical use of Neat Image
photocat

Confused about Auto Profile versus Downloaded Device Profile

Post by photocat »

Just getting started with Neat Image and want to make sure I am getting the most out of it. My cameras are a Canon 20D, a Canon Digital Rebel, and a Canon SD800 IS.

I downloaded some profiles from Neat Image but I'm not exactly sure how to use them.

I open Neat Image from within Photoshop Elements 5.0.

Do I click on Auto Profile and if not happy with the results, then select the appropriate device profile based on camera and ISO?

Does the selection of the downloaded device profile automatically apply itself to the copy of the input image or do I need to click on some button?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
NITeam

Re: Confused about Auto Profile versus Downloaded Device Pro

Post by NITeam »

photocat wrote:Just getting started with Neat Image and want to make sure I am getting the most out of it. My cameras are a Canon 20D, a Canon Digital Rebel, and a Canon SD800 IS.

I downloaded some profiles from Neat Image but I'm not exactly sure how to use them.

I open Neat Image from within Photoshop Elements 5.0.

Do I click on Auto Profile and if not happy with the results, then select the appropriate device profile based on camera and ISO?
Yes, this is one of the possible ways. In most cases, Auto Profile will provide good results so you will not need to resort to the pre-built profiles from the library.
photocat wrote:Does the selection of the downloaded device profile automatically apply itself to the copy of the input image or do I need to click on some button?
If you load a pre-built profile then you directly proceed to the Noise Filter Settings, check preview and apply filtration.

Additionally, after loading a profile you can automatically fine-tune it to the current input image using the Auto Fine-Tune function. And then proceed to filtration.

Hope this helps.
Vlad