NeatImage 4.3 beta

questions about practical use of Neat Image
planky

NeatImage 4.3 beta

Post by planky »

which means it natively supports and can run at full speed on both Intel and PowerPC Macs when used with a universal binary plug-in host.

Which programs support universal binary plug-ins at the moment?

Photoshop CS2 does not seem to :(

Thanks
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

The universal binary should work with CS2 and CS3. CS3 does supports universal binary plug-ins, CS2 works with traditional PPC code only.

Could you submit a bug report to let us know more details about your system please?

Thank you,
Vlad
planky

Post by planky »

I have submitted a bug report, though from reading your reply it seems that only the PPC version should be working for me?

I have been running version 4.2 pro.
After installing the 4.3 beta using the .pkg, and launching Photoshop CS2 the plug in still shows version 4.2. There are two NeatImage plug-in files in my NeatImage Folder, one called NeatImage (which is version 4.2 PPC), the other is called NeatImage.plugin (which is version 4.3 beta). If I remove the 4.2 PPC version from the folder and relaunch Photoshop the NeatImage menu item no longer appears.
The universal binary should work with CS2 and CS3
CS2 works with traditional PPC code only
These two quotes seem to me to be saying different things?

Sorry for my confusion!
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

You do everything correctly but there seems to be a problem with NI4.3b - CS2 compatibility. We are now working on this issue. I will let you know as soon as any news become available. Please use v4.2 in CS2 until then.

Thank you,
Vlad
planky

Post by planky »

Sorry Vlad I was being stupid!

My version of CS2 was not 9.0.2. I don't know how I missed the update, but I have updated it to 9.0.2 and now 4.3beta works fine.

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Ellis G.

Silly Question... Installing the plug-in

Post by Ellis G. »

Hello,

I can't seem to get the beta version to show up in CS2. I have downloaded it to my desktop and put the file in Applications>CS2>Plugins. I have restarted Photoshop, and when that didn't work, I restarted my Powerbook G4 laptop. I then tried putting Neat Image in other places: Applications>CS2, and Applications>CS2>Plugins>Filters. I still can't get it to show up in the dropdown menus.

Can you please advise me on what I am doing wrong?

Thanks!
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Do you use Photoshop CS2 version 9.0 or version 9.0.2?

The beta will only work in version 9.0.2 as specified in the front page.

Vlad
Ellis G.

Post by Ellis G. »

Oh Vlad, so sorry. I thought I had 9.0.2, but I have 9.0.1! I'll get on top of that, thanks!
Ellis G.

Post by Ellis G. »

Hi Vlad,

I now have this beta version installed in CS2. I have been trying to play with it but am encountering problems. It will only work on a small segment of my photo. A popup box says the photo can not be over 1024 x 1024 pixels. Is this limitation correct?
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

If you installed the Demo plug-in then yes, it is limited in this way. I guess you should download either Home or Pro plug-in (depends on your registration), from the corresponding download area.

Vlad
Ellis G.

Post by Ellis G. »

I don't have a problem buying the home version. I have been looking around for a product to purchase that is 1.) good and 2.) easy to use and 3.) not too expensive.

My question is if this beta version allows you to fully play with the product before purchasing it? I can barely tell if I like it or not because all I can see cleaned up is a small corner.

So do I have to purchase the plug-in to see the entire picture?

Also, might I add that your customer service is excellent? Your turn-around time in answering questions is top-notch!
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

The beta is a test software in the first place. The main purpose of the beta is to let users test this new version on their computers to help us identify any incompatibilities and release the final version sooner.

Regarding the limitations, both v4.2 and v4.3 beta have the same limitations in Demo edition. In particular, the Demo always filters only a part of the image (1024x1024 pixels). You can find the detailed description of Demo vs Home vs Pro plug-in capabilities in the featuremap.

If you want to test Neat Image to see if its filtration is good enough for your pictures, you can do that using the Demo edition in the following way:
1. in Photoshop, select any part of the image where you want to apply noise reduction;
2. invoke Neat Image Demo plug-in, adjust it using this howto and apply;
3. repeat steps 1 and 2 on other areas of interest and/or other images.

If you decide that the noise reduction by Neat Image is good enough then please consider ordering a license for either Home or Pro plug-in /Mac. They don't have size limitations and you can directly process your images.

Hope this helps.
Vlad