Photoshop CS 3 for mac and Neat Image 4.3

questions about practical use of Neat Image
Canticleer

Photoshop CS 3 for mac and Neat Image 4.3

Post by Canticleer »

Since upgrading to Photoshop CS 3 I experience some problems with Neat Image 4.3 for Mac.

I normally use NI in the following manner; if I have a series of similar photo's (shot under the same light and with the same ISO) I Auto Profile the first photo of that series and save the profile. Then I continue to post process the picture and when I'm done I save it.
After that I open the second picture of the series and load the profile I saved before, I pp and save it, and so forth.

Now with Photoshop CS 3 that doesn't work anymore. I can open a saved profile on one image but if I try to do so on an second image, Photoshop 'hangs', and it keeps on hanging 'till I force quit the application. This happens on both my PowerMac (2.7 GHz Power PC G5 Dual, Mac OS X 10.4.9) and my MacBook Pro (2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X 10.4.9). The first time I load a profile everything is ok, the next time I load a profile PS hangs.

Now I wonder if someone has experienced the same problem and found a solution for it? I am eager to learn about it.

By the way, I work with Nikon D2x and D200 NEF's.

Cheers,
Ivan
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

I think you don't need to explicitly save/open the most recent noise profile because the plug-in should automatically save and load it, it is called RecentProfile. If you can build a new profile and apply filter then the plug-in will save that new profile as RecentProfile and then, when you open the plug-in for another image, the plug-in should automatically load RecentProfile so you would be able to directly apply the same filtration to the current image. If that is not the case, please let me know.

Also, please e-mail me a sample profile that makes the plug-in/PS hang on your computer. We will check the profile to see if there is any problem in it. Also, if this only happens with specific images, for example, from one camera model only, then I would also appreciate a sample image that can be used to build such a faulty profile.

I think we will be able to identify the cause of the problem and resolve it.

Thank you,
Vlad
Canticleer

Thanks

Post by Canticleer »

Thanks for your reply Vlad.

You are right. Using RecentProfile on several images one after the other doesn't cause PS to hang. Thanks for that suggestion. It sure helps me to process similar images in one go. Given they all need the same profile.

On the other hand when I try to load two different previous saved profiles on two different image in a row, the second time I do Photoshop keeps hanging time after time. Very strange, the first time I load a profile everything works ok, the second time I load a profile it's not.

This happens both with self made profiles as with profiles I downloaded from your site. So I don't think the profile itself is responsible. Nevertheless I'll send you two of my own profiles, one for the D2x and one for the D200. (I have sent them to macsupport at neatimage.com)

Cheers,
Ivan
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Thank you for sending in the profiles. We will analyze them and will try to reproduce the problem on our computers.

Thank you,
Vlad
Canticleer

Thanks

Post by Canticleer »

Hi Vlad,

Thanks for mailing me the updated version of the NeatImage plug-in. I installed it both on my PowerMac and on my MacBook Pro and gave it a go.

On both machines I recreated the situation in which the former plug-in would cause PS to hang. No problem this time. The plug-in works like a charm.

Thanks for fixing the problem and for doing it really fast. Much appreciated.

Ivan